SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time poster, but long time lurker.

I bought my 2019 S60 T5 Momentum in February 2019, and unfortunately the car has spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway... I could write a novel about all the issues I’ve had in 6 months with this car, but for now I just wanted to mention the issues i’m Having with my weather stripping and see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I noticed in April that the weather stripping was hanging off the bottom of the drivers door (There are multiple gaskets on each door, but I’m talking about the large one-piece gasket that seals the door to the door jamb). Upon further investigation I found that the same seal was coming loose on all 4 doors.

The dealer replaced the weather stripping for the first time in April. Unfortunately they also smashed in the drivers side rear quarter panel, and the car spent the next couple weeks in the body shop. When I finally received the car back, the weather stripping was already failing, and worse than before.

In June, the car was inspected by the regional rep and a Volvo engineer (for the weather stripping and other issues) and the engineer determined that the dealer had used an obsolete process for replacing the weather stripping. He had the dealer re-order the seals, but suggested the body shop that did the body work do the replacement the second time because they have more experience with weather stripping.

The body shop had the car for 10 days, but from what I could tell on the VOC app, the car sat the entire time until the last day when I could see the doors and windows open in the app- I think they quickly replaced them in ~1 hour and sent it back to the dealer. When I arrived to pick the car up I could already see the stripping separating from the door. The SA said that this was normal (I knew it wasn’t) and to give it a couple days to cure. It never cured, and I spent the next month re-sticking it every time I opened the door.

Now, it’s in for the 3rd time having the weather stripping again! They claimed that the second procedure they used was also obsolete now, and that the car has to sit for 3 days with the doors closed following the replacement. They assure me that the problem will he fixed now- which I’m having a hard time believing.

But here’s the kicker- they gave me a 2020 S60 T6 Momentum for a loaner, and the weather stripping is failing on all four doors on this car! It’s a mode year newer than mine and the problem looks completely unresolved.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had these issues? And if you haven’t noticed, it might be worth looking at your car to see if the weather stripping is coming off. I’ve seen it now on 2 model years.

Thanks!
Dennis

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi,

First time poster, but long time lurker.

I bought my 2019 S60 T5 Momentum in February 2019, and unfortunately the car has spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway... I could write a novel about all the issues I’ve had in 6 months with this car, but for now I just wanted to mention the issues i’m Having with my weather stripping and see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I noticed in April that the weather stripping was hanging off the bottom of the drivers door (There are multiple gaskets on each door, but I’m talking about the large one-piece gasket that seals the door to the door jamb). Upon further investigation I found that the same seal was coming loose on all 4 doors.

The dealer replaced the weather stripping for the first time in April. Unfortunately they also smashed in the drivers side rear quarter panel, and the car spent the next couple weeks in the body shop. When I finally received the car back, the weather stripping was already failing, and worse than before.

In June, the car was inspected by the regional rep and a Volvo engineer (for the weather stripping and other issues) and the engineer determined that the dealer had used an obsolete process for replacing the weather stripping. He had the dealer re-order the seals, but suggested the body shop that did the body work do the replacement the second time because they have more experience with weather stripping.

The body shop had the car for 10 days, but from what I could tell on the VOC app, the car sat the entire time until the last day when I could see the doors and windows open in the app- I think they quickly replaced them in ~1 hour and sent it back to the dealer. When I arrived to pick the car up I could already see the stripping separating from the door. The SA said that this was normal (I knew it wasn’t) and to give it a couple days to cure. It never cured, and I spent the next month re-sticking it every time I opened the door.

Now, it’s in for the 3rd time having the weather stripping again! They claimed that the second procedure they used was also obsolete now, and that the car has to sit for 3 days with the doors closed following the replacement. They assure me that the problem will he fixed now- which I’m having a hard time believing.

But here’s the kicker- they gave me a 2020 S60 T6 Momentum for a loaner, and the weather stripping is failing on all four doors on this car! It’s a mode year newer than mine and the problem looks completely unresolved.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had these issues? And if you haven’t noticed, it might be worth looking at your car to see if the weather stripping is coming off. I’ve seen it now on 2 model years.

Thanks!
Dennis
My car is a 2019 T6 R-Design, not sure it changes anything between trims but I checked my gasket today as well. At first, I pulled on it slightly and it pulled as little bit away from the cars molding and I immediately gasped and thought I was about to deal with the same issue...

Then I, being the unintentionally destructive human I am, stopped, and then starting pulling again and realized that my gasket is held on by little white pins that attach to the body and hold from within the gasket. I am assuming we are talking about the same gasket trim???

Its at the leading edge of the bottom door sill? If not, a photo would be very helpful. I don't have a gasket at the bottom of the actual door, just the gasket that runs continuously all the way around the door, the gasket that meets that on the body, and then the gasket that runs along the bottom of the door sills the full length of the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, MJEWETT! I’m glad to hear your weather stripping is ok!

Sorry, I didn’t do a great job describing the gasket. I’m talking about the one that is attached to the door, and runs continuously all the way around the door and seals it to the body. Surprisingly, there are no clips at all holding this gasket- but it’s secured under the trim on the upper portion of the car and glued all the way around.

I don’t have any great pictures of it on my car, but I’ll run out and grab a picture of the loaner when I get a chance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a couple pictures of the issue on my car. This is after the first replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
And after the second replacement.

Hey... ironically enough, i jinxed myself replying to this! Washed my car today and cleaned the door jambs and :) all four doors have the weatherstrip failure. Did you ever get this resolved for good?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey... ironically enough, i jinxed myself replying to this! Washed my car today and cleaned the door jambs and :) all four doors have the weatherstrip failure. Did you ever get this resolved for good?
hey man, how are you dealing with this? Just going to have your service advisor take a look @ 10k?

·
Registered
225 Posts
hey man, how are you dealing with this? Just going to have your service advisor take a look @ 10k?
I am actually having a few other issues... So I have a service appointment tomorrow morning for this along with some other concerns. I will keep you posted on what they come up with remedy wise...

If it weren't for the other issues, along with the fact that I actually get bad wind noise and some water passing by from the gasket failure during carwashes, I wouldn't be bothering until the 10K service. Just don't want to risk it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Major weather stripping failure

As a result of this thread I checked mine and noticed that one of mine was separating. I’m shocked that they seem to just be taped on! I’ve never seen that before, they are always attached with pins I thought. I restuck it on and will mention it at my 10k service, but that won’t be for a couple of months, I’ll keep an eye on it in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Update to my dealers repair attempts for this:

Got a call yesterday, indicating that they will not be replacing the door seals or removing them. Instead, they will be "utilizing a rubber - to - metal gasket glue" in the spots that were falling off. Service adviser said they have had good luck in the past with this stuff. Of course, this brought me to the question of why not take it off, apply glue, reapply entire gaskets on all four doors; to which he replied with the answer of "well then we get into opening pandora's box and are susceptible to issues like rattles, etc. from removing the door panels."

Great, you don't feel confident your re-installation of parts on the door wouldn't cause rattles. Okay, sure whatever. I appreciate you not wanting buzzing to drive me crazy and have to come back. But what about when the areas that didn't fail yet fail... am I going to have to come back every single time a new area of each gasket starts to come loose? Which, obviously, will happen. If one area fails, the entire thing will at some point in time. It's all the same tape after all.

Of course, I did have the conversation end with the fact that "my rims and tires are not stock nor original equipment for the S60, and could cause issues down the line attributed to these. They would be more than happy to install a set of OE Tires at $1,600 plus labor for me. I laughed obviously... I put S/V90 Rims and VOLVO specific "VOL" branded Pirelli tires on an S60. Please... tell me whats going to go wrong because I don't have the specified Conti's that come on the S60 accessory rims... that are only optional in Europe. Here's a fun game: try to guess who I got these "non-original equipment" tires from :screwy:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just looked at my 2019 and saw that the weather stripping was sagging on the bottom on all 4 doors to different degrees. I pushed it up on one door and see it sticks but am sure it will not hold. I saw on line a 3M tube of black super weatherstrip adhesive. It might be worth the time to try this because I have used these products in the past and find they are excellent. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want the doors to be taken apart over something that looks quite easy to do. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just looked at my 2019 and saw that the weather stripping was sagging on the bottom on all 4 doors to different degrees. I pushed it up on one door and see it sticks but am sure it will not hold. I saw on line a 3M tube of black super weatherstrip adhesive. It might be worth the time to try this because I have used these products in the past and find they are excellent. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want the doors to be taken apart over something that looks quite easy to do. Any thoughts?
Hey- this is absolutely the way to go right now. I had all four doors pulled apart 3 times to have the gaskets replaced, and it never worked. And I WAS getting rattles after the second time. I’m waiting for a recall, or a fix that actually works before I have the dealer replace them again.

I just used the 3M weather gasket adhesive to glue the loose sections and that seems to be holding up the best so far. But that only worked because I didn’t allow the gaskets to get stretched, so they still fit perfectly.

Then I treated all 4 seals with this stuff, at my detailers recommendation. You treat the outsides of the gasket and it prevents it from sticking to the door sill and tugging on the adhesive when you open the door. I just treated it yesterday so I can’t say for sure how they’ll hold up, but I will keep updating.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Holy moly. I am still waiting for my V60CC. In fact, I do not even have its VIN yet. Now I am reading all of these heads-up reports. You guys know how I am feeling :(

Hope Volvo step up and fix the issues quickly and permanently.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Holy moly. I am still waiting for my V60CC. In fact, I do not even have its VIN yet. Now I am reading all of these heads-up reports. You guys know how I am feeling :(

While the V60 and my S60 are built in different factories I will tell you that outside of this very minor issue mine has been flawless! I LOVE IT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts

Not sure if this problem is only isolated to the S60 as my 2020 V60 R-Design does not have this issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.
Hi Tech- thanks for your input. You’re right, the rattles can be fixed. But after multiple failed attempts to replace the gaskets I was kind of feeling like it went off the rails.

And I don’t think this is a dealer technician issue; it seems like a material or design issue where it’s coming from the factory like this and failing in the same fashion after being replaced at the dealer.

Here’s a pic from my car- I think the door panels have to be removed because the gasket sits under that black molding around the upper part of the door on the SPA S60.

I’d be curious to see if the V60’s share this same gasket setup, for the front doors at least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It appears that my one week old 2019 T5 R Design has this problem. Thank you for the info.
During inspection of door gaskets I discovered that the door courtesy lights are missing and instead there is an empty hole where they belong, on all four doors. Nice quality control South Carolina! I smell a new thread, Which will also be my first unfortunately!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts