SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to restore ol' Håkan's suspension, and the upper rear shock mounts for the AWD look insane. Why can't this be as easy as doing rear shocks on a fwd V70? I'm half thinking doing it the super slow way with an open end wrench and leaving the mounts alone (yes I know I'll need a counterhold), but that will be 4 hrs per side. Alternatively, I'm thinking about trimming some sheet metal to get me better access.

Anyone have good tips?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Whoa there, hold on. Not that bad.

1. Jack up car properly on stands & remove wheels
2. Remove 2x bolts in trunk
3. Remove lower bolt
4. Use smaller jack on bump stop rubber to push up against the bump stop plate, thus opening the space.
5. Remove assembly.

Swap out/rebuild/etc on workbench, and reinstall in reverse.

Obviously be careful and only do this if you feel comfortable, but I'd rather not disassemble more than I need to or cut sheet metal.

I’ve done it this way at least 3 times on mine, it works very easily, worst thing is my dust shield has a slight cosmetic defect, but nothing I care about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be at your house in an hour and a half with the beer!

JK, you're right, it doesn't seem that bad once you think it through. I thought I saw something about unbolting a control arm to get the assembly lower, but I think I like your floor jack method better. Also, were you able to use regular strut spring compressor tools to squeeze the spring to disassemble?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'll be at your house in an hour and a half with the beer!

JK, you're right, it doesn't seem that bad once you think it through. I thought I saw something about unbolting a control arm to get the assembly lower, but I think I like your floor jack method better. Also, were you able to use regular strut spring compressor tools to squeeze the spring to disassemble?
Yep, just the car store rental compressor.

Having an impact gun makes that a whole lot faster lol

I'm in Madison area, I could make some time tomorrow afternoon, headed up to devil's lake to hammer out a trail run early in the morning

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, just the car store rental compressor.

Having an impact gun makes that a whole lot faster lol

I'm in Madison area, I could make some time tomorrow afternoon, headed up to devil's lake to hammer out a trail run early in the morning
Thanks for the offer, I have to go to Chicago tomorrow. I balked on ordering the rear shocks until I could figure out what was going on back there, like I mentioned before, I figured it would have been easy to just drop them like the FWD models. Going to start with the fronts, get some tires from Tire Rack and a lifetime alignment from Firestone, then finally do the rears. Or, do the PCV system first. IDEK, so much to do....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts