SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I went with my in-laws to the dealer and got a xc60. The dealer was good enough to convince them to pay extra $150 for wheel locks. I don't understand, I told them its a waste and not necessary.....but wouldn't listen to me. Dealer told them do they want their car sitting on cinder blocks (they're in their 80s).....SMH talk about taking advantage of seniors.

I did a search and found that most people said it's necessary, but nothing regarding a Volvo. I've been a car owner for over 25 years and never had a wheel lock in any of my cars. Am I just lucky that my wheels haven't been stolen?

What do my fellow owners think?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Locks only slow dishonest people down, usually minimally.

And only frustrate honest people, when you loose the special tool!!!!!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
i have a set of wheel locks from the 951S i sold three + years ago sitting on a shelf with the key. I cant give them away, and the forged wheels on a 951S are worth more than the wheels on a xc60.

·
Registered
523 Posts
my key for my wheel lock broke! now they have to torch the nut to get the wheels out....and this is being done at the volvo dealer right now. they cannot gurantee the alloy condition when I get it back :(

·
Registered
668 Posts
they have to torch the nut to get the wheels out, they cannot gurantee the alloy condition when I get it back :(
Hmm, I wonder how much an alloy puddle is worth.

I have had luck in the past drilling out lugbolts, they are surprisingly soft, compared to a grade 5 bolt. The trick is starting out in the center of the bolt and drilling straight down the center. With the volvo designed bolts that have a conical washers you have a little more room for error than typical lugbolt w/o the washer. Low RPM, plenty of pressure, plenty of lube/ coolant and you can drill one in about 10 min.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I'm sure the dealer was just looking out for your in laws. You know, when they hang in the ghetto.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That maybe possible, but in laws live in Chevy Chase, a pretty high end area in MD. They don't even drive that much! Their 2002 XC70 only have ~46k on it. My wife don't even understand why they had to purchase a second car when they are both retired.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Wheel locks

When was the last time you heard about anything Volvo being stolen? Just another reason to drive a Volvo!

·
Registered
668 Posts
When was the last time you heard about anything Volvo being stolen?
I do not know if I would be advertising that Volvo's aren't even worth the money even when they are free. :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Let it be known they have a carry permit and there won't be any missing wheels.

I purchased a vehicle a few years ago that had specialty wheel nuts that were in essence a wheel lock because the wrench would not fit or work without a special adapter. I found the adapter and didn't know what it was in the trunk so I threw it away. Then I had to go in and have someone literally WELD a standard nut onto the fancy non-tamper nut, and use a standard wrench to remove the darn thing and replace it with a stock one. Wheel locks are a waste of time in my world, if you live in a high theft zone, perhaps they make sense.

P

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Back in graduate school I had a friend who lived in the country. His dog was kept outside. One evening the dog was barking up a storm and he leaned out the door and yelled at him to shut up....he did as he was told!
The next morning my friend was about to leave for school when he noticed his car on cinder blocks, wheels and tires gone...........oh that brought back memories for me!!!! :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Volvo's wheels aren't universally compatible with many other makes and models, so they aren't terribly likely to be stolen in the first place even if you do live in an area where people steal wheels. .......

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work at a dealer shipship you dont need wheel locks its stupid no one wants to steal volvo wheels. And when you loose the key thats when you pay the big bucks. That for everyone with wheel locks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts