SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Drive-E engines have diesel counterparts.

They would make sense with XC90, S90 and new S60...etc.

Great torque and good economy.

And hopefully without rigging emissions:p:p

There is an appeal to diesels among highway commuters.

Hopefully Volvo sees the potential.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
yeah, guess its too expensive to scrub the exhaust of these engines, hence the vw fudge.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I think diesel popularity, finally on the rise over the past few years, may begin to slide to due 1.current price of fuel. 2.vw issues that will continue to dominate the headlines. 3.rise in hybrid options. I am a fan of offering more variants, but I wouldn't count on diesels making it over anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I think diesel popularity, finally on the rise over the past few years, may begin to slide to due 1.current price of fuel. 2.vw issues that will continue to dominate the headlines. 3.rise in hybrid options. I am a fan of offering more variants, but I wouldn't count on diesels making it over anytime soon.
Diesel version of XC90 is much less expensive than hybrid T8. I believe it will be quite attractive for MPG people. X5 diesel seems sell fine. If the emission on XC90 diesel has no problem meeting the requirement in US it is actually a good chance when vw has problem now.

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts
I have always had a diesel bug. Enough to have two diesel Peugeots. :p. Personally, I think a diesel S60 would be a good fit,...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Not with VW's latest headlines. You can bet that Jaguar/LandRover are none too happy about "diesel" becoming a "dirty word" again for Americans. Personally, I don't miss diesels at all since I prefer the smoother power delivery of a gasoline engine as well as less NVH.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Very unlikely at this point. It all comes down to cost and more importantly ability to sell. The whole VW thing has to do with them trying to cut costs. They thought they could get away with eliminating the urea injection system and still pass emissions, thus having a more cost effective diesel. That obviously failed. Automakers are now up against a big hurdle of trying to sell diesel cars to consumers that cost more than their gas counterparts, but no longer provide the huge fuel economy gains of the past due to the increase efficiency of small gas engines. Hybrids are close in cost to diesels with injection systems and have the advantage of the "green cred" which diesel have now been proven to lack. The only situation that diesels still have the advantage is for towing, but once again, Electric motors do this even better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Keep in mind that the excellent fuel consumption the european diesels see would not be realized here in the states due to the stricter emissions requirements... as backwards as it might be, diesel engines seem to consume more fuel to keep the NOx levels down.

That said, I absolutely loved the V70 D2 I drove while I was across the pond. Reasonable power and averaged 46.2mpg across my ~2500 mile trip.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Keep in mind that the excellent fuel consumption the european diesels see would not be realized here in the states due to the stricter emissions requirements... as backwards as it might be, diesel engines seem to consume more fuel to keep the NOx levels down.

That said, I absolutely loved the V70 D2 I drove while I was across the pond. Reasonable power and averaged 46.2mpg across my ~2500 mile trip.
Might look "backward" from a conventional wisdom stand point, but is driven by the gaseous mixtures thermodynamics.
The NOx level is directly related to the ignition temperature. The engine needs the higher compression/ingnition temperature for the lean mixtures. The richer mixtures (more fuel per each cycle) ignite at lower temperatures and generate less NOx.
That is why all diesels have the intrinsic problems with the NOx that does not exist for the forced ignition gasoline engines - they all require a higher compression/ignition temperature.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts