SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,<P>For those of us who want to do our own maintenance, nothing beats having the factory service manuals at hand. Trouble is, with the S60 and S80 I and my wife own, we'd have to get separate VIRA subsriptions at $1750 <I>each</I> for the full set of manuals, plus it requires windows NT 4.0 with specific service packs to operate correctly, none of which is readily available nowadays.<P>Of course, one can get specific subscriptions instead of the full boat for $1750.00. (Plus $100 per year annual fee for each model year.) I wouldn't need the parts list for $200, and I'm thinking I'd only need the general maintenance section.<P>Has anyone had any experience with the VIRA system? Is it worth it for a single owner to get a subscription? George, is there a way we can get a subscription for this board and just reference what we need?<P>I jsut want to change the oil, plugs, cabin filter, brakes and general maintenanc stuff, so I don't need the whole shebang.<P>There is some maintenance info at volvospeed.com that's been helpful so I've avoided the need to buy the VIRA so far.<P>But it's nice to have the factory info, especially when they give the fastener torque specs which is so important if one doesn't want to overtighten things and damage them.<P>Thanks.<P>

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Dave,<P>I have been toying with the idea of registering and having the parts/service info available though Volvo VIRA for quite sometime. It's pricey but when I take into account the amount of options available through downloads, i.e., Daytime Running Lamps shutoff, auto locks, softwaire for operating options such as the new DVD based NAV, etc., it makes sense, The dealer not only charges for the install or operation of these items but then charges again for the software download to make these options operational or in some cases non-operational. <P>I have no problem with the pricing of the software but when you throw the tool VCT2000 and Digipass in, it gets up there. I have a laptop with NT installed so I'm ok there.<P>I have been researching many of the options and am weighing having them installed locally vs. installing them myself and getting the parts through a Canadian dealership I know of to take advantage of the exchange rate. Once I know the costs, I'll make my decision. I am registering for the parts and service as I need to be able to work on my car myself, fixing minor items and having access to part numbers, since the dealerships in my area (Portland, OR) are unreliable. Fortunately for me, IPD <A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ipdusa.com</A> is located 10 minutes from my home and I know of a couple of guys there that are great with help and such.<P>Since I don't know anyone that actually has installed VIRA, or has the money to do it, I may be the first that is willing to go for it. They also show model year 2001 as the latest model and I have talked to Volvo and the 2002 model V70 T5 that I have will be able to use the 2001 info, shy a couple of items I don't plan on messing with.<P>I should have made a decision by weeks end. I think it's tough when you have two models with two different years....then it gets way too pricey! <P>Mike<P>

·
Super Moderator
39,233 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5 Dave:<BR><B>Guys,<P>For those of us who want to do our own maintenance, nothing beats having the factory service manuals at hand. Trouble is, with the S60 and S80 I and my wife own, we'd have to get separate VIRA subsriptions at $1750 <I>each</I> for the full set of manuals, plus it requires windows NT 4.0 with specific service packs to operate correctly, none of which is readily available nowadays.<P>Of course, one can get specific subscriptions instead of the full boat for $1750.00. (Plus $100 per year annual fee for each model year.) I wouldn't need the parts list for $200, and I'm thinking I'd only need the general maintenance section.<P>Has anyone had any experience with the VIRA system? Is it worth it for a single owner to get a subscription? George, is there a way we can get a subscription for this board and just reference what we need?<P>I jsut want to change the oil, plugs, cabin filter, brakes and general maintenanc stuff, so I don't need the whole shebang.<P>There is some maintenance info at volvospeed.com that's been helpful so I've avoided the need to buy the VIRA so far.<P>But it's nice to have the factory info, especially when they give the fastener torque specs which is so important if one doesn't want to overtighten things and damage them.<P>Thanks.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Dave, for simple items like the ones you listed, you can find all the info you need on the 'Net. If you check places like <A HREF="http://www.volvospeed.com/Bay13," TARGET=_blank>www.volvospeed.com/Bay13,</A> you will find everything you need there.<P>I could not spend even a third that money for the manuals.<P>Yannis<BR><P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts