SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my car in for a engine misfire issue and learned that my car has a VIP warranty attached to the VIN. I'm currently at 52K miles so just got out of the regular warranty and I bought it from CarMax 2ish yrs ago.

After calling Warrantech, they're telling me that the warranty isn't transferrable unless the previous owner did the transfer. I purchased my car through CarMax and CarMax has no record of this warranty being transferred to them. It looks like the car was traded into CarMax.

Do the good folks here in the forum know if that WIP warranty can still be transferred over? I'm asking because I suspect the misfire issue will result in a major repairs/engine replacement and this warranty would really help matters. I'm also hoping my carmax Maxcare warranty is good as a backup.

thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
I brought my car in for a engine misfire issue and learned that my car has a VIP warranty attached to the VIN. I'm currently at 52K miles so just got out of the regular warranty and I bought it from CarMax 2ish yrs ago.

After calling Warrantech, they're telling me that the warranty isn't transferrable unless the previous owner did the transfer. I purchased my car through CarMax and CarMax has no record of this warranty being transferred to them. It looks like the car was traded into CarMax.

Do the good folks here in the forum know if that WIP warranty can still be transferred over? I'm asking because I suspect the misfire issue will result in a major repairs/engine replacement and this warranty would really help matters. I'm also hoping my carmax Maxcare warranty is good as a backup.

thanks in advanced.
Is this a Volvo Warranty or 3rd Party Warranty? Volvo warranties (VIP & CPO) are transferable. New warranties are backed by Fidelity when sold by Volvo.

Sounds like you have a 3rd party warranty, which requires you to do some research and see if the plan is transferable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a VIP warranty from Volvo and it seems to be from Warrantech. I called around and it seems like it's only transferrable from owner to owner and if the 1st owner traded it in to a dealer, it seems to more/less void the warranty because they say it's not allowed to be transferred to a dealer. What sucks is that the warranty is tied to a VIN AND owner name. So if the owner name is different, the warranty is no good. Sounds like a get-out-of-jail free card in the extended contract which is a shame cuz the warranty is to 2023.

Warrantech said the only recourse to find the 1st owner and have him/her call in which sounds kind of crazy to me...

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
This is a VIP warranty from Volvo and it seems to be from Warrantech. I called around and it seems like it's only transferrable from owner to owner and if the 1st owner traded it in to a dealer, it seems to more/less void the warranty because they say it's not allowed to be transferred to a dealer. What sucks is that the warranty is tied to a VIN AND owner name. So if the owner name is different, the warranty is no good. Sounds like a get-out-of-jail free card in the extended contract which is a shame cuz the warranty is to 2023.

Warrantech said the only recourse to find the 1st owner and have him/her call in which sounds kind of crazy to me...
Yeh, ownership history is always forgotten in past. But now everything is stored in computer database. Could Volvo help on this? They have all the documents/contract/dealership info associated with the first owner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh, ownership history is always forgotten in past. But now everything is stored in computer database. Could Volvo help on this? They have all the documents/contract/dealership info associated with the first owner.
I talked to someone at Volvo customer care and they said that's administered through the 3rd party. I also learned from the dealer that they require a 30 day transfer period so even if it could get transferred, they won't honor "pre-existing" issues. I suppose this is a dead thread now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts