SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the following picture on Instagram. Is this what we should expect in regards the Apple Play interface? I like that it may be under the "Phone" category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes. That pics old but to the best of anyone's knowledge still reflects the interface. Unfortunately unless they changed it and didn't make any announcement, there won't be any way to switch to a full screen mode which would have been nice for some apps, particularly navigation.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Why do you like that it's under the phone tile? I wish they would give the option to delete the phone tile since obviously if you're using carplay, you're using the phone through that service. I feel pretty much the same about the other tiles above it, media and nav.

Also really don't want two clocks on the sensus screen.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Booked in for the install in 2 weeks time. Dealer says they can only update one car per day - takes 7 hours ?
Seven hours for a software upgrade??? Glad I requested a loaner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7 hours! That is a long time.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes. That pics old but to the best of anyone's knowledge still reflects the interface. Unfortunately unless they changed it and didn't make any announcement, there won't be any way to switch to a full screen mode which would have been nice for some apps, particularly navigation.
While car play supports a wide variety of screen aspect ratios, it likely favors a wider screen, not a taller one. Seems just as likely a car play limitation as a Volvo one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you like that it's under the phone tile? I wish they would give the option to delete the phone tile since obviously if you're using carplay, you're using the phone through that service.
That is why I like it in the phone tile, it's more obvious that it is a function of the iPhone. Passengers and those to whom I lend my car wouldn't look for features not present with my iPhone.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's not in the "Phone" tile, it's in the 4th, modular tile. The title, 'My Phone' isn't the name of the tile, but the name of your phone (as different phones can be connected). So in reality it would say something like "Jason's iPhone" (just like it does in the phone tile today).

I also agree MarkMiller that it's not a Volvo problem that it doesn't take over the entire screen. Apple has specific aspect ratios they support. I've never seen a vertical aspect ratio supported by CarPlay yet...

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's not in the "Phone" tile, it's in the 4th, modular tile. The title, 'My Phone' isn't the name of the tile, but the name of your phone (as different phones can be connected). So in reality it would say something like "Jason's iPhone" (just like it does in the phone tile today).

I also agree MarkMiller that it's not a Volvo problem that it doesn't take over the entire screen. Apple has specific aspect ratios they support. I've never seen a vertical aspect ratio supported by CarPlay yet...
Tesla and Volvo owners need to start lobbying Apple!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Booked in for the install in 2 weeks time. Dealer says they can only update one car per day - takes 7 hours ?
@Adam01234 How were you informed that bookings for the November release were being taken? Did your dealer contact you? I've not heard from mine as of yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
@Adam01234 How were you informed that bookings for the November release were being taken? Did your dealer contact you? I've not heard from mine as of yet.

I was not informed by my dealer, I simply called them and told them I want the 'November Update' that is being released November 23rd applied to my vehicle as well as all TSB's, recalls and troubleshooting of a new acceleration problem I've been having. They booked the appointment as well as booking me into a loaner vehicle. I had made the request for the loaner knowing this would all take some time and they obliged with no problem.

I think if people wait for their dealership or Volvo to actually reach out to them to come in, they'll be waiting for a long time. I am NOT saying people shouldn't wait if they want to feel this update out first, just saying waiting for Volvo to make contact first is a long shot, IMO.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Yeah I'm annoyed that the additional phone tile will be there when CarPlay is in use. I really don't see any way you could have two phones connected at once. And even if you could, I would never do that and would much rather get even an extra couple inches of screen space for CarPlay use. And I'm not sure apples' standard formats is a limiting factor since each implementation is customized by the automaker, and a map app should be very easily adapted to any format really since you can scroll in all directions and zoom in and out, so just display what you can display on the screen.

I wish for more screen space for CarPlay, and I also resent having to have these other redundant tiles visible when I'm using CarPlay so this is two issues really.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just because a vector based map app *could* scale more arbitrarily more easily, that doesn't help an OS support arbitrary aspect ratios at all. There are tons of non vector UI elements across all apps - unless you want everything to be completely distorted, there are major limitations here. (I'm a software developer and have some experience in this area)

Supporting the variety that do already was probably something of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just because a vector based map app *could* scale more arbitrarily more easily, that doesn't help an OS support arbitrary aspect ratios at all. There are tons of non vector UI elements across all apps - unless you want everything to be completely distorted, there are major limitations here. (I'm a software developer and have some experience in this area)

Supporting the variety that do already was probably something of a challenge.

Just for instance, if say the bottom half of the screen contained app icons, and the top half was dedicated to the nav view in a traditional app format, that would at least not be embarrassing, and wouldn't require tailoring specific apps to the vertical format, just the volvo carplay interface itself. I'm not a software designer but am an avid consumer and I feel like this is not living up to its potential. Yeah it may be a little complex to sort it out but you know, groundbreaking infotainment system and all that. Guess I need to temper my expectations.

And yes this is based on old graphics though I think it has been updated to be in the xc90 dash rather than the concept dash where we first saw it. I believe if it will look substantially different we would know by now, though I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Ugh that home button below the clock on the carplay section is bugging me now. Am I the only one who is concerned about this!? I said it before but I really don't see how this is much different than having my phone with siri in a vent-mounted phone holder, hovering right in front of the rest of the sensus screen.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Support is not impossible, but I'd bet it is without Apple's involvement. CarPlay would really need to support multiple formats, much like Apps have to be written differently to properly support iphone and ipad (which is still easier because all the screens are a similar aspect ratio at least, but still requires devs do the extra work for each app). Very, very unlikely Volvo could take carplay and somehow split the display between the icons and the app output unless that was a feature of CarPlay.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts