SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Awd or fwd?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned and fallen in love with my green wagon over the past year. The car seems to be the perfect starting point for lots of amazing miles. She is a 1998 V70 T5 with a a slick and short 5 speed. Still getting warmed up @ 141,000 miles. I thought I would miss all wheel drive (had a S60 R)but after a tough winter in Vermont I really don't; and I really appreciate the lighter weight+reliability. I have done some cosmetic things and will get some wheels eventually but what would YOU do first if this was your car and cleanly stage 0 :)

will Add more pics soon when the weather is better
a 01 B5 S4 Avant got me hooked on fast wagons
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yep, it's a good looking ride. Those headlights aren't original, are they? Vermont is a good place for a manual, and some power - I had a 5-speed V8 Audi when I lived there, great fun. I think the license plates are on a wall somewhere in the garage...

I have bought (for myself or family) three P2s and one P80 for myself or others in the last year, and gone through each. Here's what I found to not neglect on the way to "Stage 0"

• transmission fluid, diff fluid. Thorough PS system clean and flush
  • TCV valve. Bad on 3/4, and lazy on the other one. Check hose health.
  • Poly subframe inserts (or solid bushings) - all benefited; some more than others
  • Just ordered a strut bar for the P80, sweet deal, think about that if yours doesn't have one.
  • poly upper engine support bushings, and beefier lower torque strut mod - all needed one, the other, or both.(6/8 were broken)

I am only getting to look beyond minor suspension tweaks and on to things like engine and brake mods, so those would best be addressed by others.

Didn't find the car plates on the garage wall, but found some old motorcycle plates...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it's a good looking ride. Those headlights aren't original, are they? Vermont is a good place for a manual, and some power - I had a 5-speed V8 Audi when I lived there, great fun. I think the license plates are on a wall somewhere in the garage...

I have bought (for myself or family) three P2s and one P80 for myself or others in the last year, and gone through each. Here's what I found to not neglect on the way to "Stage 0"

• transmission fluid, diff fluid. Thorough PS system clean and flush
  • TCV valve. Bad on 3/4, and lazy on the other one. Check hose health.
  • Poly subframe inserts (or solid bushings) - all benefited; some more than others
  • Just ordered a strut bar for the P80, sweet deal, think about that if yours doesn't have one.
  • poly upper engine support bushings, and beefier lower torque strut mod - all needed one, the other, or both.(6/8 were broken)

I am only getting to look beyond minor suspension tweaks and on to things like engine and brake mods, so those would best be addressed by others.

Didn't find the car plates on the garage wall, but found some old motorcycle plates...

View attachment 118810
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you have a couple seat rides yourself. Love the V8 Audi that kind of sound should not come from a wagon ha ha. I'm also into motorcycles on my fifth bike now they have continually gotten slower from an 07 r1 to a drz400 sm and couldn't be happier

I definitely need to look into the suspension inserts seems like they would be pretty easy and have a large benefit just watch the video from my PD. I could probably also use some other Spring seeds and just check pushing this while I'm at it I do not have a front strawberries or a rear sway bar but wanting to make sure it rides well on the new rims trying to find something similar to our style/Pegasus 17 inch. Haven't checked the other engine mounts but the wonky top one seems to be in pretty good shape. Thank you so much for the advice! If you can definitely let me know what's the difference you felt before and after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you have a couple seat rides yourself. Love the V8 Audi that kind of sound should not come from a wagon ha ha. I'm also into motorcycles on my fifth bike now they have continually gotten slower from an 07 r1 to a drz400 sm and couldn't be happier

I definitely need to look into the suspension inserts seems like they would be pretty easy and have a large benefit just watch the video from my PD. I could probably also use some other Spring seeds and just check pushing this while I'm at it I do not have a front strawberries or a rear sway bar but wanting to make sure it rides well on the new rims trying to find something similar to our style/Pegasus 17 inch. Haven't checked the other engine mounts but the wonky top one seems to be in pretty good shape. Thank you so much for the advice! If you can definitely let me know what's the difference you felt before and after.
Also as far as the headlights another cosmetics yes the headlights are different than the front bumper and wing or from an R model

·
Registered
17,977 Posts
302mm brakes.

Delrin subframe bushings.

22mm rear sway bar.

Single mass flywheel/850r clutch and a quaife.

·
Registered
478 Posts
@ChaseNcars where did you get your headlights? Any issues with fitment or usability? Any regrets with the projectors? Thanks in advance.
Look into doing a projector retrofit, it'll destroy the ABMs in terms of light output.
I currently have two sets of ABMs and sold another. The reflector bowl will burn out over time if used with HIDs, killing output and cutoff is 'euro' (projects up to the right) so you'll need to fix it if you want a more level beam. The fitment is OEM but the threaded inserts on the headlight housing have a tendency of coming loose which requires you to JB weld them back in. The turn signals suffer from the same problems as every P80 turn signal.

·
Registered
17,977 Posts
ABMs can be upgraded to real xenon projectors without a ton of work. Or go led and tweak the shroud, call it a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.