SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Is this rust I’m seeing? 2019 V60

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  immaengineer 
#1 ·
Hi all!

First time poster here from Sweden.

Had a look under my 2019 V60 with just 24000 Miles today.

Is that rust I’m seeing on the inner hole next to the bolt? This is the front jacking plate which I guess also has some draining holes in it

The sight of rust worries me since the car is only 3 years old

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Helmet

See less See more
#6 ·
Okay everyone - mystery solved. I posted a similar thread in a Swedish Volvo Forum and it turns out that many SPA cars are delivered like this. The guess over there is that this is the point where the body is fixated during the production. The guy called "Ted68" even called his dealer and they confirmed that factory new cars that hadn't been delivered yet looked the same.

The first and the fourth of his pictures is how his car looked upon delivery - left and right side. The middle pictures is him sanding it down and using Rust-Oleum

#7 ·
Is there a suggestion on that forum that Volvo's legendary rustproofing standards aren't as good on the latest models? Google translate means it's a little unclear exactly what's being said there. Does look like the underseal application isn't quite as widespread as earlier models? With no one e.g. parent company pressurising them to cost cut why would they be moving to have lesser rust protection that previous models?

#8 ·
We are already seeing trends of P1 and P3 rusting faster than late P2 and, in some cases, even P80. So, yes, that has happened with some newer Volvos. Seems a bit early to say how the SPAs will fare.

#9 ·
Eastwood makes this rust converter chemical. I have used it for years on cars and tools. It works well.

You just brush it on and the rust turns black. You can than paint it. No sanding or removal of the original finish.

Description
We've learned a lot about restoration projects over our decades of experience helping the DIY community fix up their fixer-uppers. While each project is filled with its own unique challenges, we see some common problems between them all.

One of those things is rust.

Vehicles in need of restoration have usually been sitting out in the open without a lot of maintenance, where time can have their way with them. We offer more than 4,000 products to help DIY enthusiasts complete their projects successfully. When it comes to residual rust, we have a perfect solution: Eastwood Rust Converter. This product is a unique rust neutralizer that leaves behind a paintable surface without the need for sanding.
  • Rust Converter stops residual rust, and turns it into a black, protective, ready-to-paint coating, without sanding. Just apply to transform the rust.
  • Penetrates faster than other brands.
  • No mixing needed.
Eastwood's own high-tech formula converts rust into a protective polymeric coating that's ready to go as a primer, and is compatible with most top coats. That new protective coating will also seal the surface against moisture to prevent future rust growth.
Our customers have told us about a lot of different uses for this versatile product. Available in an aerosol spray or liquid containers, this rust converter will help you either restore or maintain your project vehicle. Contact us today by phone or email, and we'll answer your questions about whether this handy product can help your situation.

This high-tech formula halts residual rust in its tracks and converts it into a black protective polymeric coating that eliminates the need for sanding. The converted protective coating is a suitable primer, and is compatible with most top coats. Simply remove loose rust with a wire brush, then apply Eastwood’s Rust Converter. Allow to dry, then top coat it with a quality coating, such as Eastwood’s Chassis Black. Single component; no more mixing.

#10 ·
I def have some rust around welds and bolt holes on my front subframe. I'm in salty New England so that is what it is. I have no experience with previous Volvos. It's enough so, if I keep the car I'll try to address it. It's not necessarily an issue when big beefy underbody parts have surface rust, like it may not be a problem until 15 years out if ever. But it does seem a little bit much for 2 winters so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.