SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of having the CEL for an evap leak, so I figured I would see if I can find the problem.
A year ago I was told by a mechanic that he smoked my system and my canister was leaking.
Mind you, he also told me my ECU was bad, when it was the Front O2 sensor bad. ...

But none the less, I have a leak and figure I will start there. So today, I looked under the rear of my car, as he said it was there.. and found this by the right rear wheel next to the tank..

Would that be the canister in question?
Sorry for the quality.. the iPhone does not take the best pics.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Re: Is this my Evaporator Canister? (ViriiGuy)

I just took a quick look through VADIS and I think you've got it. 95% Sure! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is this my Evaporator Canister? (BEJinFbk)

Kewl, Thanks for that. It looks like rain this weekend, so I guess I will try to take off from work at 3 tomorrow and do it then. It looks like I should clean up and paint the bracket/cage too.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
I thought the Evap Canister was behind the front driverside fender ???

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

In his '99 S, it looks like it's in back. ( I'm not positive, so bring on any corrections! )
You've got the wagon thing down, and now coupes, I'm surprised you haven't had your evil way with any sedans yet!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Papa_Kirlo)

I won't SWEAR to it, but I believe that is the same code.
I have not checked mine in a few weeks, as it is always there and always jsut that one code. But it basically could be anything in the evap system that is leaking. Fromtwhat I read, it is often times a cracked hose at the connection to the canister. However, I was told that they performed a smoke test on mine and it was the canister. So that is where I am going to start.

Hopefully today.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (ViriiGuy)

I checked my code again before starting on the car today, my code is 442, small evap leak.

So to recap my situation really quick... About a year ago, a local indie "Volvo Expert" said he smoked tested my evap system. He told me my evap canister was cracked and he then quoted me $800 plus to fix it. I balked at the price and he told me not to worry about it, as it would not affect anything any way.

So I ignored it. I check my codes fairly regularly as my CEL is always on due to the evap leak and my car run rich, smokes white smoke a little and has a mildly rough idle sometimes (850ish-910ish bounce).

So today I put the car up on ramps and climb under to remove the canister. While trying to find the right tool for the screw, I noticed the 1 3/4 inch?? rubber hose going into the canister had several small cracks where it connected. So I cut off about 2 inches of hose and walked down the street to buy a hose clamp. I put the remainder of the hose back together with the new clamp and cleared my codes.

After driving it almost 90 KMs, I still have no CEL. Nor do I have any sour, rich smelling exhaust or smoke. The idle... I am not really certain if it is fixed or not yet, as it comes and goes under certain conditions. Like sitting at a red light. In drive, but brakes held down.

So the $800 repair cost me $1.06 and about 15 minutes of my time.
I spent more time getting all my tools out and putting them back away, than the entire repair.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: (BEJinFbk)

Quote, originally posted by BEJinFbk »
In his '99 S, it looks like it's in back. ( I'm not positive, so bring on any corrections! )
You've got the wagon thing down, and now coupes, I'm surprised you haven't had your evil way with any sedans yet!

LOL i used to not anymore and the coupe is totaly useless.

I am stickign with wagons forever

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

Recently, after I fill up, I notice the smell of gas in the garage. It's not spilled gas. Is this a function of a failing evap canister? Does overfilling the tank cause problems?

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: (ViriiGuy)

Quote, originally posted by ViriiGuy »

So today I put the car up on ramps and climb under to remove the canister. While trying to find the right tool for the screw, I noticed the 1 3/4 inch?? rubber hose going into the canister had several small cracks where it connected. So I cut off about 2 inches of hose and walked down the street to buy a hose clamp. I put the remainder of the hose back together with the new clamp and cleared my codes.
That's the "J" hose, the cheapest of the EVAP code repairs

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Re: (imslovo)

Quote, originally posted by imslovo »
Recently, after I fill up, I notice the smell of gas in the garage. It's not spilled gas. Is this a function of a failing evap canister? Does overfilling the tank cause problems?

Never overfill your gas tank for just this reason- it will eventually cause problems with the evap canister.

That said, there are many causes for gas fumes- could be a leak in the evap system, bad gas cap, or in one of the fuel lines themselves. I take it no check engine light? Sounds like you just overfilled it- easy fix for that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.