SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell if this unit is equipped with AUX from examining the label or chassis? It should be from a 2007 car (we're pretty sure). I hate to have to pull my HU-650 in order to connect this one just to find out there's no AUX. I've removed and re-installed my '07 V70's HU-650 too many times to look forward to it again.

TIA.

Photograph White Black Font Material property

Product Electronic engineering Gas Electronic component Electric blue

·
Registered
133 Posts
What do you want to use the AUX for?
I think that the Volvo radio is very specific and limited as to what will work.
I think that all of that style radio's have at least 1 AUX input.
The 2 lower right round plug ins are for AUX.
Sat radio unit or a 6 disc CD changer are the only 2 things that I have seen using AUX plugs.
They do make a thing that plugs into the 12V outlet that you can play thru a radio station thru the speakers.
You can talk on the cell phone thru this and plug in a USB stick to play MP3's.
They work fairly well.
You can also get a new radio with Sat, bluetooth for cell phone, reverse camera, USB MP3's ect from amazon.
Buy the Volvo mounting kit and Volvo wiring kit it is plug and play.
The antenna wire will be in the kit to adapt from the Volvo antenna wire in to your radio.
You will need to run the phone speaker wire to mount above the sun visor or rear view mirror area and wire for rear camera.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...I think that all of that style radio's have at least 1 AUX input. The 2 lower right round plug ins are for AUX....
Thank you for replying. So this is an AUX-equipped unit.
What do you want to use the AUX for?...
For the Grom unit already installed and connected to my original HU-650, which is acting strangely. It's preset buttons are swapping frequencies between them, sometimes resulting in several tuned to the same frequency as I simply select them (not holding them down). I bought the radio in the photos as a replacement rather than trying for a repair. (It might even have a CD changer that doesn't jam!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the preset stations are changing randomly, the RH button in the steering wheel can fail.
Replacing the RH steer wheel button normally will fix this.
You have to remove the airbag to access the radio button.
The Volvo radio is VIN specific, it takes software and marries the CEM.
Normally a used Volvo radio will not work.
A used Climate unit and front door switches can be swapped out and work if the same part number.
If new, the CCM and DDM/PDM needs software.
If used parts are needed, Erie Volvo is very knowledgeable and helpful for all used Volvo parts.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The replacement works! No more button frolicking. The GROM unit plays through the AUX connection. And now I even have a CD player that doesn't jam.
The Volvo radio is VIN specific, it takes software and marries the CEM. Normally a used Volvo radio will not work...If used parts are needed, Erie Volvo is very knowledgeable and helpful for all used Volvo parts.
No marriage required. I remember those radio marrying issues from my Saabs, along with unlock codes. I'm glad those days are gone! :) On the other hand, I did learn not to disconnect the climate control unit when removing the radio if I didn't want to deal with VIDA later.

I've been a customer of Erie VoVo for wheels and whatnot. Out of curiosity I looked them up on Google satellite maps. They've got a yard stuffed with donor cars for parts!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a FYI. Both of the dins are not for aux in one may be but the 5 pin is a 2 channel low level output and amp remote wire if I'm not mistaken. I have built a din to rca adapter for one that ran an aftermarket amplifier powering subs with excellent result. You can test it with a DMM or test light. With the radio plugged in connect the dmm or test light ground to the chassis of the car. Probe the middle pin and turn the radio on and off. If the dmm or test light shows 12 volts when u turn the unit on and it goes away when the unit is off that's your remote turn on. The other 4 pins should be your 2-channel output. Left +/- and Right +/-.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts