SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I've seen people do this. He probably doesn't particularly want to sell it but figures if he gets a price like that he will let it go.

Not really sure if this has ever been successful. I can only think of one scenario: Local guy wins lottery and desperately wants to buy his ultimate dream car, a Volvo V70R. Sure he can afford a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but this guy has always wanted that R model Volvo. He checks craigslist and this is the ONLY one listed in his area. Since $30k is chump change to him now, he wire transfers the money and picks up the car same day.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I only paid 18K for my 06 V70R sonic blue with 58k on it, at a dealer. Mine is a GT though, but that's what I wanted this time.

I feel 18k was still too much, but I was tired and hurting from driving for 600+ miles, and just wanted to buy the car and leave.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
he is just throwing up an ad and a price for anyone interested to take it. Any of us would sell our cars for $30k. Hell I'll sell mine right now for $25k, but I'm in no hurry to sell....like this guy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
About 6 months ago there was a 850R on craigslist in Maine with something like 163k miles and the guy was asking $35,000. That was pretty laughable. It was immaculate though and that beautiful red with anthracite volans.

Oh, he has since reduced the price to $27k. I retract what I said, it's virtually a steal now.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[VOLVO[850[]][]]&listingId=370325004&Log=0
*sarcasm* "B-b-bbut my mods have added value to the car!"
LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,795 Posts
That VR is one of 4 in the US in that color combo if i am correct. Still crazy priced

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Dealer Plate Maybe? Certainly not Maryland Tags. It looks like a CT Transporter Plate

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
No heated seats = dealer breaker for me. Shoot, I was ready to pull the trigger too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's in the right ballpark based on my data, I will have to add the data point though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No heated seats = dealer breaker for me. Shoot, I was ready to pull the trigger too.
For me it's the paint scrapes and the cracked front bumper. Even if this was in mint condition, it wouldn't be worth more than 16-7k at most. Asking 30k for this is just absurd haha.

·
Registered
598 Posts
For me it's the paint scrapes and the cracked front bumper. Even if this was in mint condition, it wouldn't be worth more than 16-7k at most. Asking 30k for this is just absurd haha.

That, and the fact that it's not even fully loaded.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
"Note, loan value won't be anywhere close so you'll need $10K or more in the bank to buy it this week."

So he's admitting it's not really worth what he's asking...

It's in the right ballpark based on my data, I will have to add the data point though.
Nice graph, what software is that? Definitely not R, SAS, or SPSS. Even have an effect size!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Your graph seems accurate for the 75k-300k mile range but loses accuracy because you are using ln(). This means a car with 0 miles (never driven) is worth infinite money. And with your power formula, a car with 20k miles is worth $43k or approximately original MSRP. I find both cases hard to believe.

The graph says yes but logic says not possible. People aren't going to pay double the price for a car with 30k miles versus a car with 20k miles.

Would also mean since I have not driven my car the typical 15k miles a year like normal people. My car would have appreciated about $15k since I bought it three years ago. That concept is laughable. (Bought it with 27k miles in 2011 and now has 41k miles)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know of an 05 Vr GT w/23k for ~20k in Cali ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
In the end, the car is only worth what someone will pay for it...excuses and calculations are worthless.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts