SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To recap my last thread, I was having misfire issues at start up and a slow coolant leak which I noticed later. Took it to the dealer where they told me it was a head gasket after running their tests. Through the advice of the good people here I bought a snake camera so I wouldn't have to pay to have the head pulled. Below are some pictures of cylinder 2 at the 9 o'clock position next to cylinder 1. It appears to me to be a substantial crack, I also have a video which shows a hairline below the dark spot on the wall. Computer said cylinder 4 was also misfiring but couldn't find a crack, didn't look that hard after finding this on #2.

Car specifics: bought it with 28k miles in 2010, currently 102K miles, Bone Stock, scheduled maintenance by dealer, always castrol full synthetic.

Pictures are of top of cylinder wall where it meets the head.

(BTW glow sticks really helped add more light in the cylinder.)

Coolant droplets on top of piston:

If it is a crack which Im 90% certain it is I figure I have the following options:

1) Buy a used motor. I am in the Cincinnati area, does anyone have any good recommendations on shops to do the work or where to find a replacement motor? My local indy quoted me $2000 to pull and reinstall a "new" motor.

If I do buy a motor what should I be looking for? the 2.5T can be bought online for a lot less money than an R but what changes need to be made to get it up to the same power?

2) Rebuild the motor. VIVA sent me their build/options list and while its evident they know what they are doing and can build whatever I want it would be a very expensive option. Not to mention, my wife and I will be down to one car for at least 2 months. We are also expecting our second child in December so between the cost and time this is not a great option. Although I wish it was as a 450hp VR is very appealing!

3) Sell the car to someone who has a built lower end motor or buy someone else's built motor.

I really dont want to buy another car but Im afraid thats exactly where Im heading.

Comments, advice?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have to say, that is a really clever way of checking without having to pay someone to pull the head for you.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Given the less than stellar quality of those snake cameras the fact that you can see something so clearly probably means it is there. Yeah... Yeah your choices are used block, built block, sell, or buy another car and put the R on blocks until you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If I do buy a motor what should I be looking for? the 2.5T can be bought online for a lot less money than an R but what changes need to be made to get it up to the same power?

you can buy a 2.5T engine and just swap over the R head, exhaust manifold, turbo, injectors, cams. Rs and 2.5T's use the same block, just different parts as listed earlier

·
Registered
13 Posts
We are also expecting our second child in December [/QUOTE said:
Man I feel your pain. I have decided I want to buy an R for my next car project but with our second child coming April, I will likely have to wait till next June.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts