SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my XC90 yesterday, and I plan on posting some photos I took at the dealership. Is there really any need to obfuscate the license plates? I've honestly never understood why people do this. It's not as if our plates aren't visible to everyone on the road when we drive around town. Perhaps I'm missing something, but what exactly are people worried about? Is it just a way of maintaining an extra level of anonymity on the internet?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I just picked up my XC90 yesterday, and I plan on posting some photos I took at the dealership. Is there really any need to obfuscate the license plates? I've honestly never understood why people do this. It's not as if our plates aren't visible to everyone on the road when we drive around town. Perhaps I'm missing something, but what exactly are people worried about? Is it just a way of maintaining an extra level of anonymity on the internet?
I'm with you.....so what!!!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
When my TV production crews do a feature on someone's unique private car collection, we usually do not give any indication of where their location is, unless they are open to the public.
If you are proud of your unique ride, you may not want to feature it on a world-wide internet forum. If there is a demand for your type of vehicle, thieves will know where to get it.
Just saying.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why would you want to advertise on the Internet your location (home address), name, etc., easily obtainable from the DMV from your plate number?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why would you want to advertise on the Internet your location (home address), name, etc., easily obtainable from the DMV from your plate number?
Yes, the DMV just gives out that information to strangers. ;)

Your home address and name can be found in about a million other databases but if you want to think you have more privacy by blurring a license plate on a car forum, by all means take the time to do it.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Good one... ! Hmm true. It gives us a comfortable feeling so that we can say whatever we want from behind (hide?) our screen. Amazing how things changed.

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Lord knows the service center's not going to have any trouble finding most of the XC90s on this forum.
I'm just curious......why does a guy, who does not own a Volvo, probably has no interest in owning a Volvo, spend so much of his time on a Volvo forum?????

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Not true! People cannot EASILY obtain your info from DMV. The Drivers Privacy Protection Act governs the specific circumstances in which the information can be shared and it essentially makes it so some random person cannot get your info, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_Privacy_Protection_Act.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Not necessary. Most private collection cars don't even have plates, but that's about the only valid reason I can think of.

My presence on the internet has long ago taken away my ability to be stealth, not to mention my fathers contribution to the racing world.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts