SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone avoided breaking the stock radiator mounts with this drop in replacement? I cant afford to buy an aluminum radiator right now.

My blue box radiator is only 1o months old and I never really gave much thought to the fact that the whole stack hangs on those two bolts on those two plastic ears. I also was surprised at how heavy the Do88 was. I was thinking the hoses could be turned slightly to help support the weight before they are tightened down. But mainly I have been thinking about maybe fabricating a lower rest under the IC, suspended from the same deck the radiator ears mount to. You could use a threaded rod or maybe cut threads into an aluminum dowel to support it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
It’s not the vertical weight that’s the issue it’s the twist on the plastic mounts. Could make L brackets that go up to the headlight support panel

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Right, so torsion would not be solved with vertical support rods at all. L brackets keeps it from twisting. Attaching the brackets from underneath, between the plastic ears and the standard mounting bolts then? If I am imagining this correctly.

I need to go look at this. I am about to mount the stack and got cold feet last night, worried about longevity. Thanks, Will.

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
Right, so torsion would not be solved with vertical support rods at all. L brackets keeps it from twisting. Attaching the brackets from underneath, between the plastic ears and the standard mounting bolts then? If I am imagining this correctly.

I need to go look at this. I am about to mount the stack and got cold feet last night, worried about longevity. Thanks, Will.
L brackets on top would keep it from twisting. I’m suggesting mount the intercooler first then attach the radiator to it like in a p2 sort of?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Respectfully I'm not sure what it would mount to. I'd love to hard mount the IC and then hang the condenser and radiator/fan/shroud off of it. With the radiator mounts just keeping it in place, maybe supporting a little weight.

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
Respectfully I'm not sure what it would mount to. I'd love to hard mount the IC and then hang the condenser and radiator/fan/shroud off of it. With the radiator mounts just keeping it in place, maybe supporting a little weight.
To the black fiberglass headlight support. It’s very strong. Doesn’t do much else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew it had to be the core support, there's just nothing else there and the steel radiator mounts are a bit far away. I have considered a fairly chunky extension from that steel platform on each side but to me it would really need to be welded to work right/reliably. The whole thing has started to become kind of Rube Goldberg exercise and is now striking me as kind of a silly undertaking. But if I had another car, I'd probably still do it.

I appreciate the effort and response but I'll need this vehicle to commute soon and just can't take too many steps into uncharted territory right now. I'm absolutely sure I could eventually figure a resonable way to support that chunk of weight. The problem is that vertically, it has to be the perfect length or the radiator mounts will be stressed, but in different ways depending on whether they are too high or low in relation to a jerry rigged tandem mount with the intercooler. Sharing the weight is ok, but I am also not comfortable with mounting the entire stack to the core support either. Condenser, IC, Radiator (full of water) AND the fan and shroud. I'm not certain what that stuff weighs together, but I'd bet just the do88 by itself weighs more than the entire stock setup combined.
I have pretty much decided to shelve this intercooler until such time as I can afford the radiator too. I'm just glad I thought of it before making a potentially very costly mistake over something I consider a pure luxury item. It goes back in the box, eventually mounts up with their radiator and then I don't have to worry about what might happen one day out of the blue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts