SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a Lexus IS350 and loved the growl of the engine in the cabin. The Volvo is so quiet inside. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I just test drove a Lexus IS350 and loved the growl of the engine in the cabin. The Volvo is so quiet inside. Any suggestions? Thanks.
That will drown out all the squeaking noises.
I think people will tell you to put in a new cat back exhaust system. That can get expensive and I'm not sure you want to put that kind of money in the car since you are looking to get rid of it.
If the only thing I wanted was louder, I would poke a hole in the muffler, drive it for as long as it goes then put a new exhaust system in it ;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Is that noise in the Lexus being pumped in through the speakers? Is it even the 350's real unadulterated sound?

I thought they were using resonators in the engine bay and then pumping the sound into the cabin somehow, like Yamaha did with the LFA:

http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2009/20091021.html

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Was it an IS350 F-Sport that you drove? If so, this is why it sounded like it did,

It's not as cheesy as the fake noise generators as BMW is using but it is a noise amplifier that serves no other purpose. If you want a Volvo that is going to sound good in the cabin, you are going to need to step up to something with a proper exhaust system. My P* sounds awesome in the cabin. R Designs sound decent stock but sound great with a KPax exhaust.

·
Administrator
55,934 Posts
The KPAX exhaust system will do the trick. :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Has anyone successfully done anything on the induction side of things? I know intake options are almost non existent but does a switch to an aftermarket panel filter (or any other airbox mod) add a little more growl or spool sounds?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Has anyone successfully done anything on the induction side of things? I know intake options are almost non existent but does a switch to an aftermarket panel filter (or any other airbox mod) add a little more growl or spool sounds?
Adding the KN drop in filter adds a little more turbo noise (I personally like it) or you could just remove the foam from the bottom of the paper filter and get some what similar results in noise (did this in our XC60 and it made the intake sound a bit louder).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Two really easy things that you can do are to remove the cover under the hood, it's just secured with plastic clips. There is also a bit of weather stripping unter the hood (up near the windshield). Remove both of those for more engine noise. FYI I do replace the weather stripping in the winter. As others have mentioned, if you replace the air and turbo intake you'll hear the whooshing of the turbo spooling and the blow off type sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts