SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article regarding some of the different stability and traction control systems offered from the car manufacturers.<p>Excerpt from this article <br>"For example, you would think a system called “Stability Traction Control” (STC) would be a stability control system, but it isn’t. Instead, it’s an all-speed traction control system with no yaw control. For this specific manufacturer, Volvo, you would need to specify the optional “Dynamic Stability and Traction Control” system (DSTC)."<br><A HREF="http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_product_safety/001186.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.consumersunion.org/....html</A><p>Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand Volvo cars equipped with STC, the stability function applies "only" at low speeds, up to ??ks.<p>But if the article is correct in stating, STC has no yaw control, then there would be no "S" in the STC.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Is There Any S in Volvo's STC (w1ntson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>w1ntson</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was reading an article regarding some of the different stability and traction control systems offered from the car manufacturers.<p>Excerpt from this article <br>"For example, you would think a system called “Stability Traction Control” (STC) would be a stability control system, but it isn’t. Instead, it’s an all-speed traction control system with no yaw control. For this specific manufacturer, Volvo, you would need to specify the optional “Dynamic Stability and Traction Control” system (DSTC)."<br><A HREF="http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_product_safety/001186.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.consumersunion.org/....html</A><p>Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand Volvo cars equipped with STC, the stability function applies "only" at low speeds, up to ??ks.<p>But if the article is correct in stating, STC has no yaw control, then there would be no "S" in the STC. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>I understand your point and you are, in part, right. But it is a stability traction control since it will do its part to prevent the front end (driving wheels) from sliding to the right or left if those wheels lose traction.<p>STC works with TRACS, its "forefather" if you will. TRACS works only up to 25 mph and in conjunction with ONLY the ABS. STC was an improvement. It utilizes TRACS but at speeds over 25 mph it uses the ECU and retards some of the engine power to assist with the task of keeping the front end stable and the wheels from overspinning.<p>Other manufacturers (i.e. Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc.) do not have this breakdown of systems; they use one system which functions, pretty much, like Volvo's DSTC. Finally, Volvo woke up and made DSTC a standard feature on all its MY07 models for North America. It was long overdue.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is There Any S in Volvo's STC (GrecianVolvo)

Thank you Yannis.<p>When I had my S60 with STC, I did some experiments in the snow at low speeds to see if the stability feature worked, and it seemed to work up to speeds of 50kph, and the traction control worked at any speed.<p>So in fact the article is incorrect, as the stability works at low speeds.<br>

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

Volvo doesn't call STC stability, it's <B>Spin </B>Traction Control. They call DSTC Dynamic Stability Traction Control, and you're quite right they're very different things.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is There Any S in Volvo's STC (tmtalpey)

In the Volvo (Canada) S60 brochure it does call STC Stability Traction Control, not Spin Traction Control.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>w1ntson</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the Volvo (Canada) S60 brochure it does call STC Stability Traction Control, not Spin Traction Control.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It is called Stability Traction Control in the US also.<p>William

1 - 8 of 8 Posts