SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did do a search & it didn't turn up anything. Is there an easy way to get rid of the service light other than a large hammer? I'm finally getting tired of ignoring it every time I start up my car. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yup. Easiest way is to remove the bulb.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No and don't listen to him
The entire top cap of the dash has to removed (or at least partially, if you're good), then the cluster removed to get at the bulb.
Just go to a dealer and have them clear it

or...you can drive down here one evening and we can clear it

·
Banned
556 Posts
My Check Engine Light is on, too. At first, an OBDII scan cleared it.

Now it stays on, seems to be indicating VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor.)

I am about ready to replace the ABS module myself; they say that can reset the codes, since the ABS modules, they tend to go bad and cause lights to go intermittent, as mine is doing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
This is not the Check Engine Light but the Service reminder light.

If you don't want to pull the bulb, you can always buy the Draper 69007 reset tool

I got mine used from ebay.co.uk

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The entire top cap of the dash has to removed (or at least partially, if you're good), then the cluster removed to get at the bulb.

Idiot. He wants it gone. So what, he drives to someone else every 3k miles? You clear it, it will just come back.

Orrrr, you just spend an evening (I can do it in an hour) and remove the light.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Oldfart - You gotta realize. There are people like JRL, who insist on almost everything being completely stock. Then there are people like me, who realize that we're dealing with cars worth maybe $3k, unless you have a pristine R, then maybe you can get double that. Most people actually drive their cars. You can either do it the "stock" way, which is what JRL its suggesting. Basically, you need a very expensive volvo tool to clear the light. This light will come on again in 3k miles, or maybe it's 5k miles. Same difference.

Or, you can do it the way the majority of us do it (who aren't idiots and don't want to drop hundreds on a volvo tool or take our car to someone else every time the light comes on). You remove the bulb. There is literally zero negative repercussions from doing this. The only reason JRL doesn't like it is because he doesn't like me. He doesn't like me because I call him out on his bs, lol.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
This is not the Check Engine Light but the Service reminder light.

If you don't want to pull the bulb, you can always buy the Draper 69007 reset tool

I got mine used from ebay.co.uk
This is another alternative, but keep in mind that some people have gotten ones from the uk that don't work on their cars. Rare, but it does happen. They are pretty hard to find too.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's iilegal for ME to remove the bulb (dealer with morals)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

No. You can drop the bottom dash and reach up there with your right hand straight up to the back of the cluster and twist it off

Idiot. He wants it gone. So what, he drives to someone else every 3k miles? You clear it, it will just come back.

Actually i can do it in about 15 minutes max. and only removing the botton dash

It's iilegal for ME to remove the bulb (dealer with morals)
Its illegal if you get caught, LOL.

Lets not start talking about morals on a open public forum. Oldfart owns his car and wants it gone, he can do whatever he wants to the car. We are giving him suggestions on ways to get iit taken care of and you have to throw your PERSONAL OPINION about removing the bulb. SMH WTF?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yea, I'm like half an hour, but I didn't want JRL to call me out on that. I'm fast as hell doing it in my 850 though.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
funny thing is the topic says "is there a easy way to get rid of the service light"

You and i both answered with EASY solutions. JRL had to give his morals and opinions. :/

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Frankly I didn't know you could reach up there
The only time I'm at the bulbs is to replace them (and the dash top has to come off)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Jim, the only reason i know to reach up was when i was doing a remote starter for my mom's 00 xc70SE. I was on my back under the dash tucking up the remote starter and saw the back of the cluster.

thats when it hit me, the old nasty disinegrated piece of foam in the EYE. right before that i did see the bulbs poking out the back :)

I reached up and touched it and said oooooh now i can do this without pulling the top pad! awesome

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The very easiest way is to learn to ignore the service light to begin with, it goes out on its own in a few minutes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yup. Easiest way is to remove the bulb.

Now this reminds me of a sportbike forum I'm on all the time! :p It's got a bunch of beat up old racers like me, with plenty of nut kicking to go around for the lulz. I always tell noobs they need to wear a cup before posting in there. Thank you for the offer JRL. I guess I'll try doing the reach around (for the bulb, I mean!). I hardwired my GPS not too long ago & couldn't find the bulb backs when I was looking up. I'll have to look harder.

I'll have to give that a try.

The very easiest way is to learn to ignore the service light to begin with, it goes out on its own in a few minutes.
This is what I've been doing since I bought the car new in 1998! For some reason I have finally gotten sick of ignoring it. I'm still rehabbing from a bunch of surgeries, the worst of them being a brain tumor removal, so I have time to do some of the things that you would normally put off.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, you can reach up there to remove it. I did that with my transmission light when I swapped auto to manual. That's one of the two problems of an auto to manual swap on a post-'99 car, you lose cruise control and your transmission up arrow flashes.

Also make sure you pull the right bulb, it's a lot easier to take one out than to put one in.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was wondering, for the guys that said you can reach up & pull the bulb, I just tried doing it & couldn't really get my hand all the way in. I have giant hands & giant feet, unfortunately nothing else is giant sized. I dropped the knee plate & still can't get my hand in there to the back of that part of the cluster. The A/C duct is right where my hand needs to go. The left side lights I could get to easily, the service light is on the bottom right most side. I'm thinking of pulling the dash top, are there any threads around on removing the dash top? I've never done that, thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts