SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have yet to install and configure the app (on my Android phone), but I'm curious, is there a way for me to see where my car is (obviously I am not in it)? Since it's my car, privacy issues should not apply, but I can see where they might. I was thinking more along the line of I forgot where I parked, or to report a stolen car's location.

Thank you in advance, Eric

PS. After typing that first sentence, I realize this need not be strictly app based. I'm thinking something like here.com (that knows my car) could show me where it is. -ew

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Hello,

I have yet to install and configure the app (on my Android phone), but I'm curious, is there a way for me to see where my car is (obviously I am not in it)? Since it's my car, privacy issues should not apply, but I can see where they might. I was thinking more along the line of I forgot where I parked, or to report a stolen car's location.

Thank you in advance, Eric

PS. After typing that first sentence, I realize this need not be strictly app based. I'm thinking something like here.com (that knows my car) could show me where it is. -ew
If you download, and activate, the Volvo On Call app you will be able to see where your car is from any place in the world as long as you have WiFi or cellular coverage.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You can't do that with the 2012's; correct?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
2015.5 or later (for the US models)

Not sure about other markets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you download, and activate, the Volvo On Call app you will be able to see where your car is from any place in the world as long as you have WiFi or cellular coverage.
Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It is now worth the trouble to download and configure the app.

Happy Holidays!

Eric

@CrossingCountries - Just noticed your post. Car is at work (with wife), don't recall seeing a sticker like that, but will take a closer look tonight.

Thank you, Eric

·
Registered
137 Posts
The app does it just fine. I was in NYC for a week and I checked daily to make sure the house-sitter didn't decide to take a spin.
Worked great....no driveoffs..
Greg

·
Registered
190 Posts
For older cars, look up: www.miTrail.com can be obtained via Costco, plugs into your car's OBD port and you can customize it. I've use it when my kids started to drive. It keeps me in the know how the car is being driven (speeds, etc), where it is located and historical details.. I also use another one that is battery operated when on my motorbikes, to let the family know my whereabouts, this unit also has an SOS button that lets your family know (or someone else) if you run into trouble.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looking over that app functions list, link, and I know why having this would be a liability, but...

One thing that would have been cool would to be able to open, and more importantly close, the sunroof remotely. I was thinking it would be cool, at first raindrop (noticed from one's office window), to close the sunroof. Or, before getting to your car parked in the sun, to be able to open the sunroof.

As I type this, if the legal aspect of "remote closing" is resolved, the next cool sunroof feature would be: automatic closing.

IDK if Volvo has a rain sensor for the wipers (wife's last car did), but a sensor like that could tie to the ASC (auto sunroof closer) too.

Well thanks again. I am enjoying this forum greatly.

Happy Holidays, Eric

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
^^Happy Holidays to you too. I am also very new on the forum but they are all very nice here! Learned alot, like a little family, nice! 365 days of x-mas almost.

XC70 2011 D5

1 - 16 of 16 Posts