SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a newbie here. Live in Perth, Western Australia. have a 2001 S60 T5 turbo with 208,000 Kms on clock. Love the car. Superb condition. Won't part with it. Problem is it's failing. Just replaced fuel pump due to cracked housing. Two days later informed throttle sensor strip failing. This was noon Christmas Eve. My Volvo mechanic did not have assembly and can't replace til January 4th. Car is now regularly and frequently losing power. Randomly runs perfectly for 50 to 60 Kms or, only operates in limp mode. He suggested disconnect of battery and touching terminals for 3 mins to reset computer which has worked a few times but is seemingly not a sure fire fix each time. Is there anything at all I can do to get me through to January 4th? Someone suggested it's failed now so often that computer has moved it from minor intermittent fix coding to major permanent fail so battery reset is not working. What if I disconnect battery overnight, tape terminals touching together. Will that clear all codes and reset computer? Cheers.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It sounds like there may be a lot of other things going on here. Based on the age of the car (and i don't know how hot Perth gets, but the car is still 15yrs old) there are a number of thing that will be wrong right now. When was the pcv system replaced (have you done a glove test)? When was the last time the air lines and had the TCV replaced? When was the last time the MAF was replaced or thoroughly cleaned? When you hook up a reader, what codes are you throwing (if your car is going into limp, something should be coming up)? You replaced the fuel pump (ring was a known issue), but when was the last time you swapped the fuel filter? What about the air filter? What do your plugs look like? What about the coils? If you still have your original coils, someone in Vegas is setting odds against them all working right.

So, a lot of things to cover before any non code related diagnosis can really be suggested imo, others views may vary

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you have erratic idle, where it hunts and never stays in one place, the cruise control doesn't work and the engine seems to die when you get off the gas at freeway speed, and barely keep running, then you likely have a bad ETM. Volvo had a 10 year 200,000 mile replacement warranty, but that is long gone. There is a Canadian firm, XEMODEX, that sells rebuilt units that solve the problem for good. Not cheap, but they do the job.

The "throttle sensor strip" as you called it, is one of two in the ETM from your car, and the ECU checks the feedback from the two of them to see if they agree. If they are more than 16% different (I recall), then Volvo says replace the unit. ONly someone with VIDA and a DiCE unit can do the test that tell you if the ETM is bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts