SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is insisting we need to get a warranty for windshield crack/chip on our soon to be delivered xc90 (on 1/29/16 yay). Are we not able to take it to get repaired besides the dealer for repairs? If we don't opt for this warranty. Our dealer told use this windshield crack/chip repair is bundled with tire/wheel, key fob replacement etc which cost $1895.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure how it works in the US, however, all comprehensive insurances in Europe (casco) include repair to accidentally cracked windshields. However, repairing the XC90 windshield should not be more expensive than for a car without sensors. The mobile eye, which is located at the center top of it can be removed and reinstalled on a new windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
There are a number of other threads that discuss the various additional warranty protections and costs - you may want to check into those.

Since every state is different (and there may be differences in your insurance policy) - if you need windshield repair what does your insurance cover? Will they allow you to take it to the dealer versus a third party?

Normally chips and things will be repaired (versus an entire windshield replacement) - I remember reading somewhere (owner's manual?) about repairs being done in the area that Mapache mentions: if you end up with chips or cracks in the area of the safety systems you will probably want the windshield replaced versus repaired.

I would opt for the dealer (versus having one of those third parties come and do it in the driveway at work or home) with the thought being the dealer should be more familiar with the uniqueness of the XC90 safety systems and ensuring they are aligned and working properly post windshield replacement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Windshield breakage is covered by the Comprehensive portion of your auto insurance. Stay clear of most supplemental insurances that are offered by the dealer. I always recommend having a low deductible on the comprehensive position of your insurance $100 deductible or even $0 deductible. BUT have $1000 deductible for collision. That will protect you well and save you the most money over time

·
Registered
180 Posts
The sensors are located in the giant rearview mirror module and not physically in the windshield.

Do you have a heated windshield? I believe that is imbedded into the glass. However as mentioned above your comprehensive portion of your insurance should cover for windshield damage and replacement if necessary. I don't see how the replacement would be that much more difficult than windshields that have imbedded antennas built into them which I've had needed to be replaced on my past vehicles.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
At least here in FL we get free windshield replacements without any deductible. Most states don't have this.

It can be hard to tell depending on how black the surround band is but if you look carefully at the center top of the windshield, you may see openings for some sensors and/or cameras.

I recently had to get our windshield replaced ( a rock or something on the highway) and it had a rain sensor, collision alert and adaptive cruise camera attached to it. The rain sensor, rearview mirror, etc looked like they hung down from the top but they were actually attached to a mount on the windshield.

The main problem with replacing a windshield when a car has these features is that the sensors may need to be recalibrated. The dealer charged $90 to reprogram them and our regular insurance covered it.

I stay away from all supplemental dealer offered insurance packages (except for an actual extended vehicle warranty pgkg). They are just middlemen and they add huge markup to those add on insurances. You should already have windshield coverage with your insurance, it's just a matter of whether your state has a law waving the deductible for it (like Fl), or not. Your insurance 'might' also cover rims, just a matter of you paying your deductible and if the damage meets that.

A cracked windshield is easy to deal with, chips depends on if they are in the drivers line of sight, but the main problem with rim insurance is that they verbally way oversell it and tell you if it get's bent/damaged the insurance replaces it, but what really happens is they will first try and repair/unbend/repaint the rim depending on the damage. These insurances are sold with extreme over promising and even more extreme actual under delivering.

·
Registered
702 Posts
In MA windhhield replacement & repair is covered under Comprehensive (less any applicable deductible).

the main problem with rim insurance is that they verbally way oversell it and tell you if it get's bent/damaged the insurance replaces it, but what really happens is they will first try and repair/unbend/repaint the rim depending on the damage. These insurances are sold with extreme over promising and even more extreme actual under delivering.
I think it heavily depends on who the carrier is (it helps to do some research) and how hard your service department advocates for you. There are lots of potholes around here and I have a wife who is prone to curb rash. I have had tire and wheel coverage on my last 2 vehicles and it was worth every penny. I have had multiple tires and rims replaced with not much hassle at all. My dealer always said there was no question that a bent and reshaped rim was unsafe to drive on. Most of these policies are refundable on a pro rated basis if you sell the car before the policy if up. Most people (at least in cold weather states) are going to have the need to use the policy if they have the car for the entire 5 year term. Check out the price for a stock wheel and tire on the new XC90. One tire/wheel and it pretty much has pays for itself.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think it heavily depends on who the carrier is (it helps to do some research) and how hard your service department advocates for you.
I agree.

There are lots of potholes around here and I have a wife who is prone to curb rash.
Curb rash is the one thing that I've read a lot do not cover as curbs are not road hazards. The coverage is for potholes, nail, or other debris.

It seems if the rim is not bent, it holds air, is safe and it's just cosmetic damage, they are not going to willingly replace the rim. I've read of instances where people did have curb rash covered, but it doesn't seem like it's the norm.

I lived in boston for 10 years and while I agree with you the roads suck, I never needed to replace a rim.

I know recently one poster on this forum mentioned he lost a rim due to a pothole and he had the coverage, and of course, that was covered. IMO, it seems most people don't end up using it or have a hard time trying to. It's just like all other insurances, they wouldn't offer it unless they made money, but of course, no doubt, some people do benefit when the unfortunate happens to them and they've got good support.

Also, one should be able to purchase rim/tire without windshield coverage if their state covers windshields (or they'd rather just pay their deductible).

When it comes to the supplemental insurances, IMO unfortuntately one can't believe what they're verbally told, and they really need to read the fine print because that's what really matters and they need to weigh the truly valid pros and cons of having or not having it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Curb rash is the one thing that I've read a lot do not cover as curbs are not road hazards. The coverage is for potholes, nail, or other debris.
Cosmetic damage such as this is explicitly covered, and stated as a separate coverage in my current (and previous) plan. My policy is through Zurich, and I know the Volvo branded tire and wheel protection definitely covers covers cosmetic and curb damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much. Very helpful information. I did confirm that my auto insurance does cover windshield chip/crack repairs and replacement.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
A bent rim is not the same if it does not get repaired; it could through off the balance of the wheel depending on how bad the bend is. Of course, if it is cracked, it should be discarded and a new one should be purchased.

I have always had a tire/rim protection policy for my V70, when I lived back East. Never used it but it was piece of mind for a few hundred dollars. I never worry about curb rashes as these can be fixed relatively cheap. However, a bent or destroyed rim (because of potholes or any object that you could run over on a freeway) along with a destroyed tire, make such policy worthwhile considering.

Regarding the windshield, since today's Volvo windshields are unique because of City Safety sensors, check with your insurance policy to find out if they will cover complete replacement costs; these windshields are not, cost-wise, the same as those from a few years back; they are quite pricey.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
OP doesn't mention if they have heated windshield or not - if OP has the heated, check the pricing $1050-1600 reported), will make the insurance look like a really smart move.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts