SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,<br>I'm new to this forum. My name is Patrick and I'm from Zurich Switzerland.<br>I was wondering if there is a market in the States for the never imported<br>Volvo 480. Do you think there are collectors that would like to add one of<br>those bizarre 1800 ES siblings to there collections? I could imagine an 1800 ES, <br>a 480 Turbo and a C30 standing next to each other representing the complete <br>line of Volvos shooting breaks ... <br>I'd guess that registering in the U.S. is probably hard but I'n not familiar with that ...<p>I just bought a vintage Porsche on Ebay Motors and am shipping it over to Europe<br>so I thought maybe someone being into Volvos would like to do the same contrariwise. <br>I own a Volvo 480 Turbo as a daily driver and it has been good to me for the last 3 years now. <br>Knowing about the pros and cons of the 480ies I recently ran across a very nice <br>example of these cars and I'm thinking about putting it up for auction on <br>Ebay Motors cause I don't want to replace mine right now and I fear that <br>some kid will buy it and abuse it for the next 8 months or so just because <br>the parents thought it is a good idea to buy an old and rugged low miles Volvo for starters. <p>About the car:<br>1992 Volvo 480 Turbo, auto,<br>smoke silver, interior in black leather, <br>loaded with moon roof, pdl, pw, alarm, <br>rear whipper, fog lights, stereo, Volvo floor mats. <br>Exceptionally nice condition inside and out. <br>85,000 Kilometers (=53k miles), one owner.<p>Car has been meticulously maintained and comes with a complete service record<br>and a second set of wheels with winter tires. <br>The leather option is very rare on these cars and the turbo version has been the top model.<br>A lot of the 480ies leak like crazy resulting in electrical problems, well this one doesn't. <br>Volvo has released a special sealing video tape shortly after launching the 480, <br>looks like this one greatly benefited from that.<p>Just wondering if there is a market for these cars. What do you guys think?<p>Cheers<br>Patrick

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Is there a Market in the U.S. for the Volvo 480? (Sonnenkind)

Well, I think the DOT and EPA will have issues with you bringing a 480 over here.<br>The car needs to be over 25 yrs old in order to be imported without serious legal issues.<br>You will have th check w/ the US Dept of Transportation.<p>Aside from that, probably not much of a market for the 480. <br>Not many Volvo people even know that the car exists.<br>I don't know how hard it would be to get parts.<p>Then, there would be the conversion costs, on top of the price of the car.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: Is there a Market in the U.S. for the Volvo 480? (VolvoMax)

There was a rumor going around that someone got ahold of the cutup cars that Volvo had here on demo and put one together!<br>Don't know of many people who would want a Renault powered car! Remember the PRV 6?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts