SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carbon-buildup is a consequence of direct injected engines. Now that the Drive-E direct injected engines have been around for 4 years does anyone here have issues with carbon build-up in the valves? And if so, know how to prevent/manage it?

Only solutions i've heard so far are:
1) Walnut Blasting
2) Italian-Tuneup (debatable if it works)
3) SeaFoam during oil changes (debatable if it works)
4) Shorter oil change intervals

My V60 T5 has 29,500 miles so far and I've been changing the oil every 10k; I've been averaging 24 mpg recently when I used to average 27 when I first got the car at 14k miles. I'm not sure if I should be worrying about carbon build-up yet.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Why worry? There's not much you can do to prevent it, it's not certain it will happen, and it is repairable if it does. I haven't heard of any issues on this forum, but I did experience the problem on my high-mileage GTI. Had it walnut-blasted. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I can say I've had many intakes off and there can be some carbon buildup on the backs of the valves but so far its minimal compared to Audi/VW, BMW/Mini. Those other brands have had some serious issues to the point where the intake valves and intake ports become up to 90% filled with carbon. Nasty stuff.

But the Volvo does have one a way to help keep the buildup controlled. The Evaporative system for the gas tank purges directly into the center of the manifold to assist in keeping the carbon buildup down. It can purge longer with the intention of the gas vapor helping control buildup. Compared to other brands I've seen, Volvo's is very acceptable. No, the valves will not be completely clean but I can suggest shorter than regularly scheduled maintenance can help as well as Premium Tier 1 Gas.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
But the Volvo does have one a way to help keep the buildup controlled. The Evaporative system for the gas tank purges directly into the center of the manifold to assist in keeping the carbon buildup down. It can purge longer with the intention of the gas vapor helping control buildup.
Clever, those Swedes...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I can say I've had many intakes off and there can be some carbon buildup on the backs of the valves but so far its minimal compared to Audi/VW, BMW/Mini. Those other brands have had some serious issues to the point where the intake valves and intake ports become up to 90% filled with carbon. Nasty stuff.

But the Volvo does have one a way to help keep the buildup controlled. The Evaporative system for the gas tank purges directly into the center of the manifold to assist in keeping the carbon buildup down. It can purge longer with the intention of the gas vapor helping control buildup. Compared to other brands I've seen, Volvo's is very acceptable. No, the valves will not be completely clean but I can suggest shorter than regularly scheduled maintenance can help as well as Premium Tier 1 Gas.
This is great news for the longevity of this engine.

I've also been chasing an odd behavior since I owned the car where the car likes to rev itself after making a stop every so often. Seeing the purge hose behind the throttle body has given me a new lead to chase this issue.

Many thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think I read somewhere in the user manual that no to add any additives but I'm tempted to use that SeaFoam, I used to get 27 avg. mpg and now it's only 25

1 - 6 of 6 Posts