SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something detailed (along with required tools, etc.) to do my struts/shocks. Anything out there?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
There was an excellent thread for the front struts, if you can't find it, I copy/pasted it into a word doc and can email it to you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, thanks. Anything for rears?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a sure way to not be done with it in one weekend :p.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course, that doesn't have the rear, which sucks. Any hints for the rear?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Of course, that doesn't have the rear, which sucks. Any hints for the rear?
It does, just no pictures because it's relatively the same if you can handle the front. The only trick is to line up the rear strut mount to the rubber spring seats correctly, you must mark them if you are doing springs, and line them back up or else the lower mounting points won't line up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I followed this write-up and it helped me "get an idea" of the job, for the rear, as there are no pictures. In the rear, for the upper mount, there is a screw under the trunk carpet, you have to remove that black foam disk which is glued onto the car, it does not stick back really well afterward, so a drop or 2 of automotive goop or anything will do the trick. There are 2 bolts that are reachable from inside the wheel pit. The hard part for me was to remove the lower end of the shock from the control arm, I succeeded by crawling under , place your body under the prop shaft, and use a 3/4" Rod (I used my floor jack's pumping handle) and you pry between the control arm and the shock, else it is just too stuck to come off. Also, if you find a trick for the plug, please tell me!! I managed to unhook the plug from the car by destroying half of the clip, and then you get 2" of wire to bring the plug to somewhere you can only bring one hand to work on it... I used a long flathead screwdriver to operate the tab and the other hand was pulling on the cord, anyway you are discarding it, it would not matter if you get the wires to come out of the plug... when you have the strut on the bench, is was pretty easy, mark the orientation as said ( I did and had no hassle at all when putting everything back together afterwards) Have a good weekend :) I'm doing my emergency brake pads tonight, 195k Km, probably never been done, we'll see!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts