SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the car going to tell me when my brake pads need replacement, or do I have to keep getting down on my hands and knees with a flashlight to estimate remaining pad thickness?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is the car going to tell me when my brake pads need replacement, or do I have to keep getting down on my hands and knees with a flashlight to estimate remaining pad thickness?
I didn't see anything in the S90 manual about it. I imagine if Volvo decided to save money by using a "passive" TPMS system, they would not spend a penny on a brake pad wear indication system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don’t think any of my Volvos over the years have had chippers or brake pad thickness sensors.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Going back a couple dozen years, I thought the brakes would start squealing badly when the pads need replacement, at least on US made cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Going back a couple dozen years, I thought the brakes would start squealing badly when the pads need replacement, at least on US made cars.
This was the case with some of my older American cars. My earliest Volvo was only a 2008 V70 and I don't recall it having any audible sensors.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Volvo has never used sensors. Hands and knees it is. Use a small inspection mirror to check the inner pads.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Some brake pad has a pin that could touch the rotor and making noise when pad is thin.
Don't know why this idea is not adopted in car industry.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Some brake pad has a pin that could touch the rotor and making noise when pad is thin.
Don't know why this idea is not adopted in car industry.
Its adapted in most American and Jap cars not much in euro cars. In case of volvo it is an oxymoron since its not safe. if they dont have that sensor and no way for average joe to know if they need to change their brakes. They can get in to accident that deff doesn't make Volvo safest car like they say. And Moving from Jap and American cars to Volvo i could of gotten metal on metal brakes without even knowing it esp when car had only 18k miles on it and rear brakes were at 2mm. I did find out by accident since i had flat tire and tire shop told me. Yes i should of checked and i would of if the car had 25 or 30k miles since i never had car where brakes would be gone at 18k . The sensor deff would be nice to have. Plus on our 2014 s60 in 3 years of lease we never changed the brakes and car had 26k and brakes where half gone. Yes volvo is the safest car in structure sense compare to other cars that say that they have five star crash rating and small fender bender cars gets damaged like it was 50 mile crash not 15 miles. Thats the reason I got volvo after my Oldsmobile since like Oldsmobile its a tank . But sensor deff dont cost much for them to integrate .

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
It isn't less safe, come on.

Cars with sensors don't have them for every brake pad. So if the sensor is on one rear inner pad and one front inner pad and one of the other pads not equipped with a sensor wears out faster, the driver has no idea.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Cars with sensors don't have them for every brake pad. So if the sensor is on one rear inner pad and one front inner pad and one of the other pads not equipped with a sensor wears out faster, the driver has no idea.
Yes and no. You will never see one pad 5mm and another 1mm there will be no such huge difference unless of cause you have problem with calipers than its different story

·
Registered
3,980 Posts

Yes and no. You will never see one pad 5mm and another 1mm there will be no such huge difference unless of cause you have problem with calipers than its different story
I see it all the time. Even larger differences as well.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Brake pads always comes in pairs and sets. This kind of warning tab is very helpful and costs very little.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2013 Acura had the wear indicator on the inner pad and no indicator on the outer. I had an issue with the left rear which I noticed due to the outer rotor started wearing differently, so I replaced the pads. In the process I saw that the outer pad was worn down to the metal where the inboard pad had about 5mm left...

The thought with the wear indicator is that it will make you aware of the issue if you can't see the inner pad. I had no issue noticing there was an issue when my rear rotor started wearing differently.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Brake pads always comes in pairs and sets. This kind of warning tab is very helpful and costs very little.

yes most cars only have 1sensor on one side on my Oldsmobile it can be inner or outer side depends how you install it. I usually put outer it makes so much easier to see how much brake left.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My 2013 Acura had the wear indicator on the inner pad and no indicator on the outer. I had an issue with the left rear which I noticed due to the outer rotor started wearing differently, so I replaced the pads. In the process I saw that the outer pad was worn down to the metal where the inboard pad had about 5mm left...

The thought with the wear indicator is that it will make you aware of the issue if you can't see the inner pad. I had no issue noticing there was an issue when my rear rotor started wearing differently.
That means there were something wrong with the pads or calipers it can be such huge difference between pads 0mm and 5mm huge difference. I only saw it once on my olds when caliper seized from all the rust.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hands & knees. Or grinding - which ever comes first.
I don't know.

When my rear pads in my S90 needed replacement only a couple of weeks after I bought the car, I only found out because they were screeching like crazy.

I assumed they had one of those screeching brake indicators, and that's why I was hearing them.

I hadn't even thought to inspect them so soon after buying a CPO car.

Luckily the dealer took care of it.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts

That means there were something wrong with the pads or calipers it can be such huge difference between pads 0mm and 5mm huge difference. I only saw it once on my olds when caliper seized from all the rust.
No it doesn't. I see it all the time with no caliper problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts