SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of us city dwellers: street parkers without a garage and access to a charging port, is the T8 a viable choice?
i.e. will it run as a practical hybrid and simply rely on the petrol engine to charge the battery?
I have been unable to find any technical information on this subject.... does the car require regular "plug-in" charging to actually function?
While I can appreciate a full charge is required for the maximum performance, will simply engine charging and brake regeneration be sufficient to allow operation as a hybrid?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You will not need a charging station as long as you have gas in the tank.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It still has much better mpg than T6 in city drive, and could be also better on highway.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
What's the MPG of T8?
If no plug charging at all, I guess it can be in the range of mid 30ish to top 20ish., depend on your road and speed. Worse on hill, and higher speed freeway driving.

If charged enough daily, can be close to and even much higher than the 59eMPG. The upper limit is close to infinite.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The bottom line is this - if you aren't charging up the battery from a electrical outlet, and just relying on re-gen braking, and the little amount of power the gas engine provides by charging it, the hybrid is not the right option. It weights several hundred pounds more than the T6, and the base price is over $16,000 more than the T6 model. But, to each their own :rolleyes:

·
Registered
496 Posts
First of all, yes you can drive a T8 while never charging. You still have the benefits of the hybrid, simply by regenerating the energy while braking. That works lovely, because the electromotor in that case will support you when taking off and will support during traffic jam. But, this is all depending on the amount you can/will regenerate.

To give you some idea: yesterday I drove 250 km (155 m) to the city of Antwerp. Just some motorway (120-130 kmh / 75-80 mph), some traffic jam to enter the city and some city driving to the customer. While I first had to pick up a colleague, who forgot something, we left town with almost empty batteries. No possibiliy to charge at the customer either. In other words, I only used the petrol engine and the regeneration.
Fuel consumption was 6,7 l/100km so 35 mpg.

I’ve the opportunity to charge every day (home and office) and drive electrical in the city. That’s simply fantastic. I really like the smooth and silence ride! ;-)

On the other hand, will you spent that additional money for the hybrid technology if you’re using it only partly? In that case, i’ll think in the US I would go for the T6, in Europe for the D5.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
First of all, yes you can drive a T8 while never charging. You still have the benefits of the hybrid, simply by regenerating the energy while braking. That works lovely, because the electromotor in that case will support you when taking off and will support during traffic jam. But, this is all depending on the amount you can/will regenerate.

To give you some idea: yesterday I drove 250 km (155 m) to the city of Antwerp. Just some motorway (120-130 kmh / 75-80 mph), some traffic jam to enter the city and some city driving to the customer. While I first had to pick up a colleague, who forgot something, we left town with almost empty batteries. No possibiliy to charge at the customer either. In other words, I only used the petrol engine and the regeneration.
Fuel consumption was 6,7 l/100km so 35 mpg.

I’ve the opportunity to charge every day (home and office) and drive electrical in the city. That’s simply fantastic. I really like the smooth and silence ride! ;-)

On the other hand, will you spent that additional money for the hybrid technology if you’re using it only partly? In that case, i’ll think in the US I would go for the T6, in Europe for the D5.
35mpg is still awesome for a 7seat 2.3ton SUV, plus the driving experience. Surely it doesn't justify the extra price but is still lovely if you want more green.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
good info

thanks

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
If no plug charging at all, I guess it can be in the range of mid 30ish to top 20ish., depend on your road and speed. Worse on hill, and higher speed freeway driving.

If charged enough daily, can be close to and even much higher than the 59eMPG. The upper limit is close to infinite.

You can't be serious. The upper limit is definitely not anything close to infinite. Anytime you add ANY energy, whether it is gas OR electricity, your eMPG is reset. This is like the Volt owners who would try to claim they could get over 1,000 mpg because they were only driving something like 15-20 miles/day and charging each time they stopped. eMPG takes into account ALL of the energy used, not just the gas.

Also I don't know how the XC90 specifically performs but PHEV's typically are not very efficient when using the engine to charge the battery. The engines tend to be run at peak load to get enough energy into the pack, so mpg is greatly affected.

·
Registered
496 Posts
FYI

With full batteries I can drive almost 40km (25 m). With a full fuel tank about 500km (310 m). I don't have a clue how the car is calulating this fuel range because my total average is 6,9 l/100 (34 mpg), so I should have a max. range of about 700 km (435 m).....

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Also I don't know how the XC90 specifically performs but PHEV's typically are not very efficient when using the engine to charge the battery. The engines tend to be run at peak load to get enough energy into the pack, so mpg is greatly affected.
confused

conradi posted his data

you posted nothing other than doubt

maybe you just didn't read the entire thread

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
You can't be serious. The upper limit is definitely not anything close to infinite. Anytime you add ANY energy, whether it is gas OR electricity, your eMPG is reset. This is like the Volt owners who would try to claim they could get over 1,000 mpg because they were only driving something like 15-20 miles/day and charging each time they stopped. eMPG takes into account ALL of the energy used, not just the gas.

I never care much about how eMPG number is calculated, as confusing as it can be.
If someone usually drives on battery and just goes to gas station one or twice a year, how the eMPG is numbered like xx miles per gallon? Where is the gallon number from? It does not tell you anything useful.

·
Registered
819 Posts
FYI

With full batteries I can drive almost 40km (25 m). With a full fuel tank about 500km (310 m). I don't have a clue how the car is calulating this fuel range because my total average is 6,9 l/100 (34 mpg), so I should have a max. range of about 700 km (435 m).....
Beautiful car and a good fuel consumption!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
confused

conradi posted his data

you posted nothing other than doubt

maybe you just didn't read the entire thread

In regards to Conradi, he clearly says he has a full battery to start, so he charges his car from the wall. My comment was relating to when the engine is used to charge. I also said that i do not know how the XC90 performs and only said how other PHEV's perform in that scenario.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I never care much about how eMPG number is calculated, as confusing as it can be.
If someone usually drives on battery and just goes to gas station one or twice a year, how the eMPG is numbered like xx miles per gallon? Where is the gallon number from? It does not tell you anything useful.
MPGe(Miles per gallon equivalent) is used for alt fuel vehicles to give something to compare against MPG. "Miles per gallon gasoline equivalent (MPGe or MPGge) is a measure of the average distance traveled per unit of energy consumed." It is not calculating how much gas a PHEV uses. The most efficient car on the road today is the BEV BMW i3 which gets a combined 124 MPGe. It only plugs in. There is no infinite to this equation. You can see a list of MPGe's here, https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=1984&year2=2016&vtype=Electric.

·
Registered
962 Posts
for most the hybrid isn't necessary or doesn't justify the premium because their break-even point may be so far down the line that they may never appreciate any savings.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts