SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Is the M66 Rebuildable?

38K views 105 replies 42 participants last post by  1amzave 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 6-speed manual(M66) from an '04 donor that seems to be in good condition. It spins freely by hand and engages in all gears. Do the bearings and synchros go bad often in this transmission? Are there any available kits? I'm hoping that replacing the gear oil will be enough to ensure long life since this is not a track car.

Update: 04/14/2019
I connected with Miyel(reply #26) and he's demonstrated that having a local contact the vendors works out in our favor. Expect details to come this week.

Update: 12/05/2018
I'll probably be looking for another M66 based car in the next year or two. When that happens, I want to be prepared.
From most of my reading, the M66 is a stout transmission but I want to have the key bits on hand so that when I open it up, I can account for any surprises.

Update: 07/05/2022
The M66 is rebuildable.

I bought these bits from forum members during part outs:
  • Input shaft
  • Intermediate shaft(1,2,5,6)
  • Back-up shaft
  • Shift forks
  • Shifter assembly
  • OEM front diff (minus ring gear)

Next spring, probably April (2019), I will be sourcing a Masterkit from from Ganzeboom in the Netherlands.
A group buy might be in order, if we have enough interest.

I ask that those who are merely curious please refrain from flooding them with inquiries.
Otherwise, they may become less responsive than they have been up until this point.
I.E. only contact them if you are serious about buying in the near term, as they normally only cater to shops.
We also cannot setup accounts on their site.

Masterkit (seals and bearings): €250,88 ($286.87)
Synchronizer Ring 3: €29,95 ($34.25)
Synchronizer Ring 4-5-6: €64,32 ($73.56) ( 3 @ €21,44 ($24.52) each)
================================
Total (excluding vat. and shipping): €345,15($394.68)

They do not supply the 1-2 triple synchros.

Search results for: 'MKM66'

I'll text "spinal4" today to ask if he can relocate the images from his M66 teardown. They will be valuable for those of us who will be diving into the gearbox soon.
Walk through with pictures M66 (c) manual trans disasembly.
*He probably posted them on Photobucket before they changed their policy.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are no kits available to rebuilt our M66. I believe Volvo didn't release any of the parts to do so.

#4 ·
No parts from Volvo. I've rebuilt a M66 from a 2007 XC70. Same gearbox. It had a failed bearing on the reverse gear shaft. The other bearings were fine. I pulled off the broken bearing. There are markings on the bearings and I just bought a new same sized bearing from SKF. The bearings are pressed on the shafts and also held by a torx screw which is reverse threaded. I would assume all the bearings are replaceable. Not sure about synchros.

Heres some info: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-M66.pdf

#7 ·
My issue is the bearing is so far gone, I don't see how I could even pull numbers off it. You wouldn't happened to have wrote any of them down did you? Also, do you recall the exact torx size? Oddly enough a T30 felt small and a T40 was too big. T35 is super uncommon though.

#5 ·
Got it. No kits, it's unlikely that I can find synchros, and finding replacement bearings may require some legwork. Since the donor spins and engages I'll leave it at a fluid change. I don't feel too left out since some of the other MXX Volvo transmissions don't have readily available rebuild kits either. Thanks.

#6 ·
Bearings are easy to find. I think getrag made the transmission, so they may be able to supply synchos. It would take some calling around. In general I think the M66 holds up pretty well until someone abuses it and breaks something.
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.

#8 ·
Didnt write diwn bearing nrs, sorry. Just use the most suitable torx. You need a small pulley to take it off the shaft. I grinded little slots for that. You're saying the bearing is gone? Inner race should still be there, no? Pull it off maybe there are markings on the other side

#11 ·
I think we determined it's a T27 torx plus like you mentioned. I'm going to pull it and hope for the best. The bearing is pretty well smoked, if there's numbers I would imagine they ground off haha. Maybe on the other side though.

#12 ·
Just pull the bearing remnants and take it to a bearing supply house. They'll measure it and get you the right kind and a quality US or Japanese made one. SKF or NSK are my bearing preferences. It's a tapered roller bearing and is should be fairly standard. Bearings are regularly categorized by the type, inside diameter, outside diameter and width. As long as you have that, you are golden!
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.

#13 ·
Yeah that's the plan. I will likely bring in the case as well since the outer race is likely to be destroyed upon removal.

Just need to find a proper torx. My T30 was loose enough I didn't trust not stripping it out.

#14 ·
Volvo doesn't service rear diff parts for the later diffs, only whole exchange units.
I had a 2007 XC90 that lost lube due to seal failure and ended up with noisy bearings. I made a couple of tools I needed and dismantled it and found the bearings were cheap and widely used bearings. Bearings are sourced off the shelf when possible for all but the unit hubs.
I can't imagine any of those trans bearings would be special.

#15 ·
It doesn't appear a T35 exists or is even a common size seeing as how i have two professional level kits and it skips right over. Anyone know what those are torqued to? Curious if my T30 is sufficient if I'm careful.

Would like to take it in tomorrow if I can.

#16 ·
I have a spare M66 I took apart if you need internal parts.

Case was broken on the M66 I have but all the internal parts look good.

#17 ·
Sweet baby Jesus. How much for the shaft in the picture above that has the smoked bearing? Would be absolutely awesome to just chuck it in there and be done! :)

#22 ·
Bearing numbers are typically engraved into the end of the inner or outer race, not on a bearing contact/wear surface or the thin metal cage which supports the rollers. In the case of the 5 bearings in the above photo, they are typically on the end of the inner race pointed down so you need to pull the bearing off the shaft to read it.

In past to pull this type of bearing I have had to destroy the cage and remove the rollers then cut slots into the inner race so the gear puller could grab onto it.

Bearing companies typically have interchange lists available so you can swap one manufactures part for another.

#23 ·
Thanks to C30crew member I got a used reverse shaft assy from an M66W (S60R AWD) trans to checkout. I have a good FWD M66 reverse shaft coming from another forum member, between the two I should hopefully be able to repair my balky reverse shift condition :). I'm going to assume bearings, etc., are the same across trans variants, the gears & FD themselves would be the variables across model application. I will of course confirm this against the FWD version once I have it.

I've ordered new bearings regardless. Replacements can be any brand that match the spec. I prefer to use exact same brand when possible to ensure compatibility. Exception being Carrier bearings when doing a Posi, since OEM installed are plastic cage, which are less desirable, IMO.

Large bearing is a SKF 32006 X/Q

Small bearing is a (Koyo) 32004JR

end cap retainer (for Reverse shaft) is T40 (left hand threaded), not TxxP

Disassembled (mostly) assy. The synchro cone, dogs, etc., are all in good shape. Volvo switched to steel synchros with this trans , much longer life than old brass style. Barrel needle roller cage has no PN, have to measure dimensions to determine possible replacements (if needed)

#28 ·
I don't see info about the syncros. However, I did see their page https://webshop.ganzeboom.net/m66 contains synchro rings and kits. I would be down for a kit to replace the synchros..my third gear could sure use it!

#26 · (Edited)
Hi there BrotherMatt,

In search of information about a M66 swap I stumbled on this topic.
In the past I've done a bearing replacement on a M56 and therefore bought a kit from a other Dutch supplier.
Now I need a M66 kit and they have this masterkit as well. Wouldn't even be surprised if they are the supplier of Ganzeboom.

And.. I'm Dutch.. so maybe I can help in this 'groupbuy'? Always willing to help my Volvo brothers as they supply me with all the information and inspiration. :p

Edit; contacted supplier; about €205 incl VAT excl transport

#33 ·
I'd be in for a group buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.