SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I drive my R, the more I notice how unbelievably noisy the linkages for the 6-speed are.

I can drive through my subdivision, and especially when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I can actually hear the clicking linkages reverberating off of houses as I go by. 3rd to 4th is somewhat noisy as well, but not as bad. It's clearly audible from the front of the car - not at all in the center console or trans tunnel. It's much, much quieter (to me) when the windows are up.

Also, when I depress the clutch, I often hear another clicking sound - almost like a motor or trans mount is bad, but I don't hear it over bumps, potholes, etc... Perhaps the engine is just rocking and moving the manual linkages, causing the same noise...

Is this normal? I have to admit that it sounds like it's gotten worse since I acquired the vehicle. Are there bushings that can be replaced? If so, how much of a heinous pain-in-the-butt might those be to replace, and where might I get them from?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
o_O not normal.

mine shifts quietly/smoothly (except when it's pretty cold and it's hard to get into certain gears but thats a known issue on early R's, heh)

edit, to provide useful information. the shifter itself has bushings. http://www.twmshiftknobs.com will have bushings you can get to tighten up the feel. You have to remove the spaceball to get to them.

bushing kit: sr, they have a vr as well specified but not sure why they would be different...
http://www.twmperformance.com/bushingkits/volvo-bushing-kits/volvo-s60r-2004-2007-bushing-kit.php

Might want to take a look at where the shifter cables come in in the engine bay to make sure the connections are fine. the assembly in there can be problematic. I'd consult shifter replacement guides (short throw) from either snaabb or twm for pictures, there are threads around here as well.

maybe your cable are just stretched/worn out and need replacement.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Not normal... when I first read your thread title I was thinking maybe he hears 'chatty' usually indicated by a light weight flywheel or such.

Take it Gillece Transmissions 2237 Saw Mill Run Blvd. (Route 51), let them hear it. I'd let you take mine out or let you hear but I'm unable at the moment, I probably won't be back in Pittsburgh until late Nov or early Dec.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o_O not normal.

mine shifts quietly/smoothly (except when it's pretty cold and it's hard to get into certain gears but thats a known issue on early R's, heh)

edit, to provide useful information. the shifter itself has bushings. http://www.twmshiftknobs.com will have bushings you can get to tighten up the feel. You have to remove the spaceball to get to them.

bushing kit: sr, they have a vr as well specified but not sure why they would be different...
http://www.twmperformance.com/bushingkits/volvo-bushing-kits/volvo-s60r-2004-2007-bushing-kit.php

Might want to take a look at where the shifter cables come in in the engine bay to make sure the connections are fine. the assembly in there can be problematic. I'd consult shifter replacement guides (short throw) from either snaabb or twm for pictures, there are threads around here as well.

maybe your cable are just stretched/worn out and need replacement.
Thanks for the info but it definitely isn't from inside the car. It's MUCH louder when I have the windows down - I can hear it coming from outside the car.

I considered shooting a video, but it's awfully hard to do (hold phone, shift gears, steer car...)

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
I actually have the same 'problem' with the M66. It is pretty loud when rowing through the gears. I just thought it was normal for the car...I"ll have the dealership look into it next time I bring the car in for CPO service. If you figure out what the problem is, let us all know.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what a CPO service is. I can only come up with "Clean Pockets Out". Did I get it right?

·
Registered
284 Posts
certified pre owned.

·
Registered
635 Posts
you aren't alone man, i've driven 3-4 manual R's now...they're all this loud. Even the T5 I drove made the same noises. I generally only hear mine between 1-2 though with the windows down. If you haven't replaced your axle bolts with XC90 ones and upper/lower engine mounts yet, do that. Mine got much better after doing that.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Mine's pretty noisy, sometimes louder than others.. Not really loud enough to echo off of houses though. Check your fluid level.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
the clutch thing sounds like it could be axle ping. now that you mention it though i have heard the same clicks from my car when shifting but i honestly didnt think much of it because there is linkage in there and its not brand new anymore. every link gets a little loose and when you shift the gear they all click at the same time. some new bushings and a refresh of the linkage to the transmission will *probably* eliminate most of the noise

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
no on axel ping, usually only hear that at lower speeds, no need to shift to replicate. just feather the gas pedal a bit when rolling slow in first or second gear with window down, you'll here it. if it is because of shifting it is not axel ping. (not that you couldn't have both)

axel ping

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
no on axel ping, usually only hear that at lower speeds, no need to shift to replicate. just feather the gas pedal a bit when rolling slow in first or second gear with window down, you'll here it. if it is because of shifting it is not axel ping. (not that you couldn't have both)

axel ping

In the OP he says he hears a different noise when he depresses the clutch. this is what i was referring to

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
the clutch thing sounds like it could be axle ping. now that you mention it though i have heard the same clicks from my car when shifting but i honestly didnt think much of it because there is linkage in there and its not brand new anymore. every link gets a little loose and when you shift the gear they all click at the same time. some new bushings and a refresh of the linkage to the transmission will *probably* eliminate most of the noise
The shifter plate bushings or the transmission mount bushings being swapped won't change anything; I have the same noise and that didn't do anything. I think that maybe the XC 90 bolts and or the metal shifter cable bushing from snabb would fix it. I am tapped as far as money goes, so someone else can try this and report back.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
947 Posts
My parents drive 94 850 with manual tranny that has just under 300k miles, shifts as supposed to without clunks, everything is still original. My VR has the same clunking as OP, first - when I press the clutch before switching gears, then another releasing the clutch post gear change. It doesn't happen every single time but 95% of the time. I have to adjust my shifting to not clunk but most of the time it still clunks. I have poly engine and torque mounts as well as ipd inserts on cross bar, I have xc90 bolts too. I've searched and searched but haven't found an answer. Some folks say it's worn dual mass flywheel which I kind of feel it is but not 100% sure. My dmf is going out as soon as my slave gives up. The clunking seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Question for folks with viva single mass flywheel - did you have clunks during shifts that went away with single mass flywheel?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
My parents drive 94 850 with manual tranny that has just under 300k miles, shifts as supposed to without clunks, everything is still original. My VR has the same clunking as OP, first - when I press the clutch before switching gears, then another releasing the clutch post gear change. It doesn't happen every single time but 95% of the time. I have to adjust my shifting to not clunk but most of the time it still clunks. I have poly engine and torque mounts as well as ipd inserts on cross bar, I have xc90 bolts too. I've searched and searched but haven't found an answer. Some folks say it's worn dual mass flywheel which I kind of feel it is but not 100% sure. My dmf is going out as soon as my slave gives up. The clunking seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Question for folks with viva single mass flywheel - did you have clunks during shifts that went away with single mass flywheel?
Keep in mind, the single mass will be lighter, you may hear what is common called 'chatter', so don't be alarmed.

IDK, I have 90k on my car and I don't have 'clunks' and I rebuilt my transmission at 65k due to failed slave. All new internals except flywheel, I had it recut, thinking now I should have just changed it but it is what it is. What I do have is the engangement noises, but I usually only hear it during 1st/rev changes and thats due to long throw linkages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm experiencing the same noise. Clunk when i depress the clutch and linkage noise when i shift gears.
I did the axle ping fix and replaced my trans and upper mounts.
2006 S60R

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm experiencing the same noise. Clunk when i depress the clutch and linkage noise when i shift gears.
I did the axle ping fix and replaced my trans and upper mounts.
2006 S60R
Same issue in my 2004 V70R.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright - cool - getting some good discussion here...

WTF is "axle ping"? The video link above gave me a crazy website filled with ASCII characters...

The clunk when depressing the clutch still feels like a trans/engine mount, and yeah - I get it at low speeds (I never exceed 35mph on my commute to work.) But I don't get it over any bumps, when accelerating, revving; any other time that a mount would chatter.

Noise between shifts is most noticeable between 2nd and 3rd. Weird thing is if I just sit and row through the gears, it really isn't nearly as noisy...

Car's in the shop getting a wicked tire leak fixed (bead isn't sealing) and an alignment. Tomorrow I'm going to see about trading it in on something less frustrating. If I'm unlucky, I'll see about addressing this issue.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
So my car seems to be exactly like a lot of peoples'. In first gear, when i depress the clutch, the car makes a clunk. The only way to avoid this is to depress the clutch very quickly, which I have gotten in a habit of doing. Shifting from 2-3 and sometimes 1-2 is very noisy (a loud mechanical sound) when going at slow speed, but is completely quiet when going through the gears at a stop, or the normal 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 shifts, which I also do at low speeds (usually cruise around in 6th at 30mph.

Is this just how the M66 is or is there a wear item somewhere in the chain?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts