SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may trade-in my S60 NA for a S60 R. How does 4-C "comfort" setting compares to a stock S60 with 16" wheels?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by BrunoS at 8:14 PM 6-30-2006</i>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Is the 4-C "Comfort" setting really comfortable?... (BrunoS)

Very different, you cannot compare the two

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>BrunoS</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may trade-in my S60 NA for a S60 R. How does 4-C "comfort" setting compares to a stock S60 with 16" wheels?<p><br><i>Modified by BrunoS at 8:14 PM 6-30-2006</i></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Comparing my old S60 T5 with sport suspention and 18" wheels to a stock S60 R with 18" wheels, I'd say comfort mode in the R is more supple and 'comfortable' that my old T5 was. Sport in the R is stiffer than the T5 and of course Advance is another story all together.<p>I've neven driven a plain jane NA S60 so I can only guess that comfort mode in the R would be similar or slightly softer.<p>Test drive a new R, it's the only way your'll know for sure and then... GO FOR IT, GET the <I>R</I>... it's one amazing car and a HUGE stop up from your NA S60.<p>LTA<br>

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Is the 4-C "Comfort" setting really comfortable?... (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very different, you cannot compare the two</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Agreed, and even though I'd say the NA S60 might feel as 'soft' as the R in comfort mode, <U>the R is a totally different car.</U><B></B> Also, MY06 will automatically put you back in Advanced mode should the brain of the car think doing so will save your @ss in a sudden evasive maneuver.<p>LTA<p>

·
Registered
459 Posts

Comfort is the setting I'm most ambivalent about. The car pitches and heaves -- yet at the same time feels jiggly over even the most minor of road imperfections. Potholes and manhole depressions bring out the dreaded sidehop.<p>It's "comfort" as compared to sport and advanced, but it is far from the kind of sporty comfort you get from a BMW or even a Subaru. It seems really half baked. At least I know what to expect with Sport and Advanced, but with Comfort you can get decent shock absorbtion but lots of jiggly bumps, with some bad pitching and heaving, and some bad sidehopping.<p>If I am driving over city streets, I use Comfort because Sport can get too jarring. Over smooth roads I go to Sport; and Advanced when I'm feeling frisky.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

The comfort setting is comfortable, but needless to say, there is a lot of body roll and lean in turns. Basically, it's nice to have on long freeway rides but the car just isn't very composed. By not as composed I mean that The R in comfort will tram-line over expansion joints and again, has plenty of squat, dive, pitch and roll. Most people here keep it in Sport mode, some more daring/masochistic in the group leave it in advanced all of the time in order to avoid the lack of response from the car. Also, many report that advanced has the edge taken off by changing the stock springs. <p>The setup in a basic S60 is not bad, but not sporting either. You can compare the two, but it really comes down to sports sedan vs. sedan which can be a little sporty at times.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Re: Is the 4-C "Comfort" setting really comfortable?... (HarryHood)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Comfort in the R is my least favorite (I'm one of the few nuts who prefers Advanced for everyday driving.) The base level stock S60 suspension is quite good for the mission of the car and for a non-enthusiast driver or passenger is a better setup than 4C Comfort. I think the only non-R Volvo suspension setup worse than 'Comfort' is the typical Volvo P2 T5 sport setup (oh and I almost forgot the mid-90s 850 turbos - one of my favorite memories though.)<p>Of course if you want to feel a better static suspension spend some time in a P1 based S40/V50. I've got a V50 T5 AWD sitting in the driveway while the dealership works on installing my bluetooth, waves Volvo's latest magic pixie dust at my squealing brakes, and looks at my suddenly balky again shifter. I've had a few of these things over the past 18 months or so and I always come away from them enthused about the prospects for the next generation R because the P1 is so much better as a starting point than P2. (I'm fairly certain I'll be driving an e90 M3 or B8 S4 long before that happens though.)<p><br><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>HarryHood</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Comfort is the setting I'm most ambivalent about. The car pitches and heaves -- yet at the same time feels jiggly over even the most minor of road imperfections. Potholes and manhole depressions bring out the dreaded sidehop.<p>It's "comfort" as compared to sport and advanced, but it is far from the kind of sporty comfort you get from a BMW or even a Subaru. It seems really half baked. At least I know what to expect with Sport and Advanced, but with Comfort you can get decent shock absorbtion but lots of jiggly bumps, with some bad pitching and heaving, and some bad sidehopping.<p>If I am driving over city streets, I use Comfort because Sport can get too jarring. Over smooth roads I go to Sport; and Advanced when I'm feeling frisky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very different, you cannot compare the two</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Now I'm going to try to explaion it better.<br>(I drive a lot of base 16" Volvos so I suppose I can try to explain).<br>A base car is reletively supple, smooth and when it goes over strange bumps or unlations in the road, nothing happens.<br>The R comfort may be a bit softer and smoother on a smooth, even road but if you hit a heave in the road or a nasty bump, it becomes very unsettled as it comes with a very soft spring and now the shocks also go to soft setting<br>If you asked me which one I like better, the base 16" S60 (or V70) every time over the R, no contest

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Drove one today. Nice and comfy in "Comfort" mode for when the wife is around. Now it is just a matter of finding one in the right color.<p>BTW I went yesterday to buy a 2006 330i but when my MY04 S60 was appraised, they came back with $14K. KBB fair value is $16K and good $18K. BMW had told me that they usually appraised at fair. A couple of weeks back the Volvo Dealer offered $17K without a pending new car sale. Today, with a R sale, they offered $17.5. I will haggle more. Lexus and Audi both offered 18K when I was interested on the IS and A4. I can't believe BMW go so greedy and lost a $40K sale like that.<p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts