SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just garnering thoughts on this. I have decided to keep doing the scheduled maintenance on my '07 S80 AWD until I reach the end of the warranty. The 30k is my next one and most expensive of all of them. I just did the last one for my wife's '05 XC90 yesterday at 60k and will find someone else to the work now since the warranty is done. I will do the same for my S80 and then after the warranty will either do it myself or find a shop to do it. For me, with 4 kids time is what I don't have right now or I would do most of the work myself.<p>I am contemplating an extended 100k mile warranty for both vehicles, but $2000 seems a bit steep and my thoughts are if I keep the maintenance up on both vehicles I shouldn't come close to needing an extended warranty to 100k miles. True?<p>I'm looking for advice on the worthiness of the scheduled maintenance by Volvo and should I even consider an extended warranty. I would like to think that if you keep the Volvos maintained they should last for a long time without much fixing in the future.<p>Thanks in advance for the input guys.<p>

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
Re: Is Scheduled Maintenance Worth the Price? (solyvive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>solyvive</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I am contemplating an extended 100k mile warranty for both vehicles, but $2000 seems a bit steep and my thoughts are if I keep the maintenance up on both vehicles I shouldn't come close to needing an extended warranty to 100k miles. True?<p></TD></TR></TABLE> <p>My own personal opinion is that an extended warranty is like health insurance on your person. Its there if you need it and heaven forbid you<br>do...How much of a gambling man are you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is Scheduled Maintenance Worth the Price? (V70 Brad)

I'm not much for gambling. Does anyone know what the most expensive part that usually faults after the 50k mile warranty expires (tranny perhaps) would be? I have seen $4k-$5500k for the tranny. In that case, the extended warranty would have paid for itself and it would have been a good gamble. Is this realistic on our sedans prior to 100k miles though?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Is Scheduled Maintenance Worth the Price? (V70 Brad)

Rather unlikely a transmission will fail between 50,000-100,000 miles. From experience of two older 850's which the transmissions lasted well over 100,000 with minimal maintenance.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>solyvive</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I am contemplating an extended 100k mile warranty for both vehicles, but $2000 seems a bit steep and my thoughts are if I keep the maintenance up on both vehicles I shouldn't come close to needing an extended warranty to 100k miles. True?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes, True. It is unlikely that you'll spend 2K on non-maintenance repairs up to 100K miles. Warranty companies make LOTS of money on these plans. If you could warrant the car to 200K or 300K miles, that would be great. But no one will sell you a plan like that because they would end up on the losing end too often.

·
Registered
329 Posts

Solyvive, we purchased a new 04 v-70 and my wife purchased the extended VIP warranty, 50$ deductible and really hadn't had an isue withe the car till 60k miles and the third brake lite stopped working.. turns out it was the rear computer module a pretty big ticket item...50 bucks and fixed...my other v-70 was a CPO so it is covered 7 years 100k...hope I never have to use them, but if you are keeping the car for the long haul I think it's the way to go IMHO. JHW

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: Is Scheduled Maintenance Worth the Price? (2.4asr)

As the owner of an '07 S80, I have been taking the car back to the dealer for it's regular service since I bought it. You know, trying to be the responsible Volvo owner and all....<br>I called about the 30k mile service today and they want almost $500, and that is not including the $50 set of wiper blades that it needs.<br>So, I got curious and started snooping in the Warranty and Service Record Info book from the glovebox. Turns out, they are trying to do all kinds of extra stuff to the car that is not in the book. Would it hurt anything to do the 'extra' stuff? No. But my wallet wouldn't appreciate it. Would it hurt anything to NOT do the 'extra' stuff? No.<br>Fortunately, I am stopping this cycle before it gets started. I have always maintained my own cars to avoid this very thing and I feel stupid for almost letting it happen again.<br>So, I called a very well known and trusted Volvo/Saab service center that can follow the book and charge me less than 25% of what the dealer wanted. AND give me a loaner car to boot.<br>This still means I am getting lazy and I am going to pay someone else for what is essentially an oil change, but I am at least going to play by MY rules this way.<br>When we bought the car, we DID buy the extended warranty to 100k miles for big ticket items since we put alot of miles on it. I wa also told today that they no longer recommend a regularly scheduled transmission service on the new Volvos. However, if the transmission fluid is observed being dirty or discolored, one should be performed immediately.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Re: Is Scheduled Maintenance Worth the Price? (bullitt210)

30K or less just requires oil changes and tire rotations. The rest are just inspections.<p>I have managed to pay for the oil change at a Volvo dealer and let them perform the rotation and inspection free of charge. With a car wash and a free loaner I cant complain. <p>If the car breaks down, its under warranty, so I am not sure why are they trying to charge that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts