SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 04 sr m66 and the PEM is still located in the rear wheelwell, I have been having fueling issues and want to rule out the PEM before replacing the pump. So while I'm in there I figure I better relocate it. I know the instructions in VIDA say to cut the wire. I also know how tight it is between the tank and body after having to replace the pump to fuel filter line.

So what I'm wondering is: is there enough space to pull the connector between the body and fuel tank without cutting any wires?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have looked into PEM relocation... The way Volvo says to do it is insane--replace the entire rear harness... I think that is why they say cut it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok. Well I just did it without cutting anything. I had to disconnect the fuel line coming off the fuel pump for a second and pull the wires out of the plastic harness loom. But it wasn't bad. Maybe took me 30 minutes. I assume the Volvo instructions are just to speed up the process. And the new harness is to relocate the PEM in the spare tire wheel well. The harness I currently have only gave me about a foot or foot and a half. So I put the PEM under the passenger rear seat.

And oddly enough, the PEM wasn't behind the wheel liner like the instructions and what I've read online. It was to the left of the fuel filter in plain view. As you'd imagine my PEM was filled with salt.

While I'm here: I saw on xemodex's website that there is an early model and late model PEM. I have a spare PEM from an 05. They look exactly the same. Are they compatible? If not, how do I know which one I pulled off the car and which one I'm replacing it with?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nice job, did the same with mine. It took me awhile looking in the wheel well when it's actually right next to the fuel filter! I removed my rear tire and fished it out the back after disconnecting all of the clips holding it to the fuel line. Here are some photos I took during mine to maybe help people in the future. The harness part number is 8688667

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Ok. Well I just did it without cutting anything. I had to disconnect the fuel line coming off the fuel pump for a second and pull the wires out of the plastic harness loom. But it wasn't bad. Maybe took me 30 minutes. I assume the Volvo instructions are just to speed up the process. And the new harness is to relocate the PEM in the spare tire wheel well. The harness I currently have only gave me about a foot or foot and a half. So I put the PEM under the passenger rear seat.

And oddly enough, the PEM wasn't behind the wheel liner like the instructions and what I've read online. It was to the left of the fuel filter in plain view. As you'd imagine my PEM was filled with salt.

While I'm here: I saw on xemodex's website that there is an early model and late model PEM. I have a spare PEM from an 05. They look exactly the same. Are they compatible? If not, how do I know which one I pulled off the car and which one I'm replacing it with?
They should be compatible. I've used the PEM out of my S60 to test in S40's V70's etc.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just did the PEM relocate today to the spare tire with the oem relocate harness. Will post stock number soon. It was very easy. You have to take passenger seat out, pull old harness up and out, then install new harness inside existing wire chase to spare tire. All oem, no splicing.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I just did the PEM relocate today to the spare tire with the oem relocate harness. Will post stock number soon. It was very easy. You have to take passenger seat out, pull old harness up and out, then install new harness inside existing wire chase to spare tire. All oem, no splicing.
Too bad that harness is $800...

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can always just get the shorter harness if you dont feel like fishing the old one out. Then just splice in a longer line if you want to get it into the trunk. I just put mine under the passenger seat like thegrapest.

PN: 8688667 ~37$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts