SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Cars are more expensive in the UK, so this car may have a chance to get restored. Guess it all depends on the rust under the car.

Based on the info of a comparison road test between the 121 and 122s done in Germany in 65 or 66, it looks like the majority of the cars sold in Europe were the 121 model. Even though there were fewer speed limits in Europe, and even though people (then and now) tend to drive faster in Europe than in the US and are more skilled drivers, most people considered the 75 hp of the 121 sufficient, and not worth the extra cost of the 122S. I find this amusing, how the recent demand for more hp has migrated to some folks in this forum, where they want to replace the B18D/B or even B20 with modern engines. Even though now the roads are even more congested than back then, somehow we "need" even more hp (at the expense of fuel economy, low speed fun, reliability, etc etc).

According to that road test BTW, the 121 was quieter, and given the more torque at low revs, was more pleasant to drive in traffic. While personally I like the extra hp and sound of the twin carb engines, if I drove in rush hour frequently, I may have enjoyed a B18A for a change.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Where did you get your 121? They were not sold in the USA, nor in Canada (not sure for the latter).

Also, pre-65 121'a had drums up front, right?

I think the demand for more hp in the USA is driven by image.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That car in the UK is going to take some serious commitment and $$$ to get it into halfways decent condition. Ouch. What did that one owner do to it? They didn't seem to care for it.

Rodger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts