SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know there is going to be alot of bias votes on this but considering how much ive read about the AWD going out on these cars, would it really be that bad? By bad i mean...well you wouldnt be losing as much power right? And in turn the car would be a little faster? Possible better gas mileage. But the AWD and the wheels etc etc makes the R so if you planned on saying that, I beat you to it. lol

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It would be faster in the straight line, but try going around a corner as quick and see how quickly you crash from understeer. A fwd R is pretty much a Focus RS. Crazy torque steer without the well-enginnered front diff to handle well around turns.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be faster in the straight line, but try going around a corner as quick and see how quickly you crash from understeer. A fwd R is pretty much a Focus RS. Crazy torque steer without the well-enginnered front diff to handle well around turns.
weird...just watched a video of a RS and a R race on youtube after posting this and thought that sort of...but yes thats a very good point on the handling of the car. But what would it cause alot of harm to the car as well?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You can drive the R as long as you can in FWD mode, but the longer you run the car without fixing the angle gear, the more likely the angle gear will need to replaced as the input shaft would be at risk of being grinded smooth.

It's up to you, the collar sleeve is a $120 dollar part, along with 3-4 hours of labour to put in.
Whereas an angle gear will run you about $600 used / $1800 new + $120 collar sleeve + the same 3-4 hour time.

You do the math...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dropped my car off this morning at the shop for a variety of things including angle gear and collar gear work. A few thoughts...

Driving a 6MT FWD R is not a lot of fun. The quickness factor is negligible. The reality is that with a working AWD system in the Volvo, you're not taking the gas mileage hit much when you have traction...because the rear portion of the drive train isn't doing anything. On the highway, the car behaves mostly as it does with the AWD...although I felt a bit uneasy at speed knowing that nothing other than physics would be helping keep the back end moving in the right direction.

From a stop, or even worse, turning from a stop, driving the FWD-only R sucks. My car is tuned with exhaust and intake work...and I found myself lighting up the traction control light more times than I'd like to admit...particularly leaving stop signs and merging from a standstill into moving traffic. In the rain, it was downright unstable. I had to be much more sensitive to too much throttle...and that isn't cool.

I think that several of these issues might be less apparent in a car making stock boost levels, or with a less rigid chassis setup....or with a GT. At the end of the day, the romp-ability (yes, I just coined that term) is highly compromised in my car. I am waiting anxiously for the clutch, SMF, springs and collar gear to be replaced. Also, assuming that the angle gear shaft is at least slightly stripped, I decided to pursue the permanent collar gear mod...so we'll be welding that together. If the angle gear blows up down the road, it'll have to be replaced...so be it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It does not cause a lot of harm, as long as you drive it politely. I bought my car FWD only, (The DEM was fried, replaced it in the first week) and let me tell you that the engine is way too torquey to be FWD only. At the time it was FWD, when I engaged 2nd speed early, and floored the accelerator pedal, the boost starts to build up at 2k RPM and as soon as you reach 3K, the tires begin to slip and you just do a "rolling burnout" until the RPM show 6K....

What I mean is you can't enjoy the whole power since the car lacks of grip. Maybe a RWD with this power would be enjoyable.

The torque steer isn't THAT bad, because there is an horizontal shaft on the right side, making both angled section of axle shafts the same length . IF you plan on hammering the throttle a lot, running FWD puts more stress on all the chassis components of the front end ( Axle shafts, Lower control arm, Ball joint, Tie rod, etc.) and this is not what you want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought mine FWD as well is there a way to tell if I need to replace just the collar sleeve? Or will i find out once i get it all apart??

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Just an FYI, A FWD R is not any faster than an AWD. Ask me how I know!

It doesn't change the power to weight ratio, there isn't THAT much drivetrain loss, obviously, or else the other guys R was just.. slower than mine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Woah, woah, woah. It would be quite different from an RS. The RS has a pretty trick front suspension component called the Revo knucle that largely eliminates torque steer.

FWD R does not equal FWD RS.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Woah, woah, woah. It would be quite different from an RS. The RS has a pretty trick front suspension component called the Revo knucle that largely eliminates torque steer.

FWD R does not equal FWD RS.
You missed the part where I said that it's pretty much the same without the well-enginnered front diff to handle well around turns

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all of the answers, was just curious to what the car would be like.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thank you for all of the answers, was just curious to what the car would be like.
You will feel seriously out of control at WOT in 1st gear with FWD. It's like you can't hold your steering wheel, it's sorta fun though, except it ruins the poise and comfort of the cars supposed-to-be capabilities.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
you should run in fwd and drive aggressive when pulling out at all stops. You can then be our official tire tester, report back on what you like and what you don't like.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
you missed the part where they would pretty much be NOTHING ALIKE.... starting with, oh say, the R's massive extra poundage....

I wouldn't call 300lbs massive. A focus RS uses a turbo 2.5L volvo I5 and an M66 transmission. Hmm. That sounds familiar... take awd away from the R and you have a 300+ HP torquey car which loves to break the front wheels loose. Yes, they look nothing alike, but the car characteristics would be similar if the R was fwd. So go unwad your panties and F*** off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
...although I felt a bit uneasy at speed knowing that nothing other than physics would be helping keep the back end moving in the right direction.
Agree with everything you wrote except this. I did track days in my S60 T5 before my R and let me tell you doing a 125 MPH sweeping turn (1G lateral load) the T5 and R are equally stable. The R might be a teeny bit better but I assure you this is due to the suspension and the trunk lip spoiler, not the AWD. And yes, I ran the exact same tires on both cars.

Of course the R AWD helps a ton accelerating out of slow speed corners, the T5 would light up the inside tire or understeer a ton whereas the R stays very neutral unless you already overcooked the turn.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't call 300lbs massive. A focus RS uses a turbo 2.5L volvo I5 and an M66 transmission. Hmm. That sounds familiar... take awd away from the R and you have a 300+ HP torquey car which loves to break the front wheels loose. Yes, they look nothing alike, but the car characteristics would be similar if the R was fwd. So go unwad your panties and F*** off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
"cars share a similar engine and trans, thus they must drive the same."

lol nice logic bro. and only 300lbs weight difference? wow i wasnt aware there was a 3500lb focus driving around out there. please tell me more.

lol go polish your spaceball a little more and do some deep breathing exercises :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts