SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a VOLVO dealership this past weekend and inquired about the DVD based Navigation System. They did not have any to show me but the salesman attempted to explain the numerious steps required using 3 buttons on the back of the steering wheel to operate the unit and enter a destination. I am primarily interested in getting this option for my wife's use. Based on his description of what is involved I do not think she would use it. I would like the opinion of those who have this option on how easy it is to use, and is it worth the additional $1895? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (defgh1)

What is she going to use it for? Does she travel a lot (for either work or pleasure). For $1,895, it is definitely worth it. But are you going to use it a lot to justify the extra $$$?<p>Yannis

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (GrecianVolvo)

The System will be used primarily for occasional travel and pleasure trips only. More for weekend or scheduled vacation travel. My concern is if the unit is tedious to set up she will just look it up on the map and the NAV system would be a waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The System will be used primarily for occasional travel and pleasure trips only. More for weekend or scheduled vacation travel. My concern is if the unit is tedious to set up she will just look it up on the map and the NAV system would be a waste of money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>It is not tedious at all. Very easy to get used to and operate. It's just how strongly do you feel about spending $1,895 for occasional use.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

My GF has a NAV system on her TL and let me tell you, it is worth every penny. She was deiciding between the Tl w/ NAV or Type-S w/o NAV. We use the NAV system all the time, even during city driving. All you need is an address and the nav will do the rest. Looking for places is a breeze. Trust, you won't regret it. And besides, it'll end up more a pain to get one installed afterwards. Might as well get it now.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (mike_c70)

The Volvo system that pops up from the dash has been critisized as being hard to read in bright light. I can see from using a laptop in the car (as a passenger!) that might be the case. What's your experience? And how good is it where satellite coverage is poor like in the woods or downtown among tall buildings?<p>Also, does Volvo offer periodic updates? There's so much development around here that maps are outdated in 6 months. TIA.<br>

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (XC-Ski)

There are different brightness levels to compensate for the sunlight.<p>There are periodic updates, they are not free anymore.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There are periodic updates, they are not free anymore.<p>Yannis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Yannis could you provide an annual cost estimate for updates? Example, $50 a year, $100 a year etc.<p>Thanks,<p>Doug

·
Registered
606 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There are different brightness levels to compensate for the sunlight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><br>I assume it's an LCD display. Brightness control helps a little but the problem is that a screen sitting up where the sun can hit it directly will be completely washed out at times. If the screen could be rotated, that would help, but I doubt that is the case. I notice the XC90 dash is huge and slopes down toward the seats, so I wonder if that might help block the sun from certain angles depending on where the screen is located.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I've had a navigation system in each of my past three vehicles and have yet to be offered an update. My current Acura CL Type-S was purchased in 2000 and they have yet to update the DVD. In reference to whether or not it is worth it... depends on your financial situation. I will not buy another vehicle without it. Yes, you can always get directions from a map, but that will not walk you from point A to B, find the best way back to a certain point, find you detours when the traffic is unbearable, etc... At first, I thought it was simply another toy (no complaints), but the NAV systems from day 1 have been wonderful tools and are surprisingly accurate.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

It is not an annual fee per se. An update can come within a year or 18 months or whenever. Usually, updated discs cost about $160.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (XC-Ski)

I've got the RTI setup on a '99 S80 T6 and a '01 V70 T5. The amount of time I have to worry about not being able to see the screen due to sunlight is ZERO. Occasionally the radio display will wash out but that's about it.<p>As noted by others, the nav screen is angled down towards you which helps a lot. I also have dark interiors in my cars which cuts down on light bouncing off the dash and onto the screen.<p>Most significantly, after you get used to the system you will find you are rarely looking at the screen. About the only time you actually need to look at the screen while you are driving is if you come to an unfamiliar turn or intersection and even then only a brief glance is needed to tell the distance to your next turn. <p>If you are really concerned about sunlight washing out details I suppose you could switch over to dark colors which might help some as well.<p>Good luck.<p>-rollie<p>p.s. - I'll never own a car or rent one without a navigation system again!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (rollie)

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Anyone else who has experience with the Navigation System please state your views.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I am starting to regret not getting the NAV with mine. I know I can take my car back to the dealer and have it added for much more than the factory option would have originally costed. <p>Have anyone else gone this route? It seems like it's a major operation, I wonder if the average service dept. has much experience doing that...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Is Navigation System worth it? (nomis)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am starting to regret not getting the NAV with mine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Ditto. It is the one option that I really regret not having ordered it...And the second option I feel like an a$$ for not having order is DSTC. Oh well!<p><BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Have anyone else gone this route? It seems like it's a major operation, I wonder if the average service dept. has much experience doing that...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>It is a major "operation', hence the 8.4 hours of labor required/charged in doing it but it is nothing that an average technician could not handle. <p>Yannis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts