SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from work in the rain I was at a stop and then when I took off the front wheels started spinning then when they caught traction something broke and the car would no longer move. I had to get it towed home. I had just recently changed the right front axle. I put it up on jack stands and nothing was working. I took a video of the noise it's making. https://vimeo.com/145434442

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
possibly the splines on the axle wore out or they arent seated correctly, maybe malfunction of TRACS system (which relies on speed sensors and ABS)

either way, it doesnt sound good

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oh jesus... I think you need to look under the car while having someone shift it to Park from Reverse to see if anything under there is physically moving. I would guess its within the case though. Almost sounds like the drive clutches arent disengaging and when you put it back into park, the parking pawl is grinding away at the gear. No bueno. That would explain the wheels just randomly starting to spin at the stoplight and then it dying because everything is engaging at once and stalls the engine. This could be way off track but I am not there lol.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be getting back to the car over the weekend. I do not have a check engine light and there are no leaks. The axles both seem to be on nice and tight but I think I will pull both of them and reinstall to make sure they are fully seated and not popped out.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it doesn't look good. I pulled both axles out and inspected the and the looked good and seemed to be seated in there properly. I put them back in and still nothing happens when I rotate the tires. My neighbor is going to check it out for me tomorrow, he is a bmw Benz mechanic so I am sure he can tell me for sure or at least what he thinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Let us know what the turn out is. Sorry that it wasn't something as simple as the axles :/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the neighbors diagnosis is bad transmission. The axles both turn fine but nothing else rotates :(. Anyone need a parts car? it has 227k I don't think I will mess with it so I will probably just sell it at this stage.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well the neighbors diagnosis is bad transmission. The axles both turn fine but nothing else rotates :(. Anyone need a parts car? it has 227k I don't think I will mess with it so I will probably just sell it at this stage.
Too bad your not closer I have several transmissions nearby that would work. But then again it's a pain to swap trannies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's a tranny cost? I only paid 2100 dollars for the car but the damn thing does run good just this tranny issue. Maybe I should consider doing it and just pay the neighbor to help me swap it out. It has 227K miles on it but otherwise it a really decent DD.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I don't know what the guy would want for the tranny but he has a whole 01 2.4t s60 that for 2k.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I don't know what the guy would want for the tranny but he has a whole 01 2.4t s60 that for 2k.

I know that this has a 16t turbo on it though and the ecu isn't tuned for it so it goes into limp mode i guess

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well today I did not get good news about my transmission. My indy mechanic stopped by the house tonight to check it out and it didn't take long for hime to say it was bad.

I need to either sell the whole car or I may part it out. The engine has about 228k on it. Engine still runs good.

·
Registered
502 Posts
He give you any specifics? Sorry to hear that though :/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He didn't get to specific except to say it doesn't sound good at all and it has to be something internal. When he was under ther car while I went through the gears he said "thats good i heard enough". I guess i will post it in the parts section to sell whole or part out if there is enough interest.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today I also noticed when I was pushing the car out of the garage that it doesn't even have park.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yep she's done for

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
sounds like the differential inside the trans case has failed, def needs new trans

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep car is for sale or part out.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Car is officially being parted out. Have post in the for sale parts section.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts