SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started noticing a sound weird sound when turning the wheel. Only noticable at low speeds and started after having my front hubs replaced. No idea what this is but I'm about sick of pouring money into this damn car.

steering fluid is correct level. inner and outer tie rods are about a year old, lcas are new etc etc.

Here's a video http://tinypic.com/m/izau5x/1

Any ideas?

EDIT: I mixed up the brake fluid and the steering fluid. How do I check the level of the steering fluid?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Is there fluid in any of the boots? Could be a bad seal on rack. Or does the rack look wet when you look down from the bay?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The boots that go over/ protect the inner tie rods to the rack.

There probably won't be if your fluid level is fine. So if it looks dry, no fluid in boots, and you installed new tie rods, you can probably rule out the rack. I can't be sure bc your video won't load for me.

To check power steering, you'll probably have to remove your right headlight. (Near the belt)

There is a reservoir over there. Shine a light behind it because it's tough to see in the container. The fluid is green and should be changed out if you haven't done so by now. CHF 11-s

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The boots that go over/ protect the inner tie rods to the rack.

There probably won't be if your fluid level is fine. So if it looks dry, no fluid in boots, and you installed new tie rods, you can probably rule out the rack. I can't be sure bc your video won't load for me.

To check power steering, you'll probably have to remove your right headlight. (Near the belt)

There is a reservoir over there. Shine a light behind it because it's tough to see in the container. The fluid is green and should be changed out if you haven't done so by now. CHF 11-s
The boots are dry. When looking at the reservoir is there a fill line I can see without having to take off the wheel arch?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The boots are dry. When looking at the reservoir is there a fill line I can see without having to take off the wheel arch?
Yes! there is a high and low mark on the right side of the reservoir. They are very faint. Just get a nice bright light and shine it behind it. If it's really low, like you don't think anything is in it, just take the cover off and take a peak down. Like I said, new is green. Older will probably look like muddy water.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes! there is a high and low mark on the right side of the reservoir. They are very faint. Just get a nice bright light and shine it behind it. If it's really low, like you don't think anything is in it, just take the cover off and take a peak down. Like I said, new is green. Older will probably look like muddy water.
Thanks. Just went out and looked at it. Its between the high and low marks and appears to be a dark green.

After looking more into it the sound is only made when turning the wheel to the right and sounds like it is only coming from the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Is there a clicking or thump? (Sorry. I can't view video on my iPhone. No flash) If the noise happens when turning right and you hear noise on the left, it could be a left side CV joint on the axle. Are your boots in good order? No cracks?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a clicking or thump? (Sorry. I can't view video on my iPhone. No flash) If the noise happens when turning right and you hear noise on the left, it could be a left side CV joint on the axle. Are your boots in good order? No cracks?
no clicking no thump. My cv boot looks good at the hub

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did this sound comes up after they fixed the break dust shield for you? They didn't mention anything about it? All the suspension parts are tightened? Any noises when driving and turning while driving?

Seems like you might need a buddy to help identify it. Jack up the front and have someone steer the wheel while you try to find it?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did this sound comes up after they fixed the break dust shield for you? They didn't mention anything about it? All the suspension parts are tightened? Any noises when driving and turning while driving?

Seems like you might need a buddy to help identify it. Jack up the front and have someone steer the wheel while you try to find it?
Started after they installed the hubs, yes. I'll just have to take it back to the dealership and have them look at it because the sound goes away when the car is jacked up

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i think a whining noise is common for our cars when turning the wheel slightly-- i think its the pump or something. but it doesnt sound like what youve got going on.
your noise doesnt sound like a suspension part, or cv joint/tie-rods, to me. sounds like it could be the pump.
im useless haha, maybe its an accordion or bagpipes.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Power steering is electro-hydraulic, no belt. Mine makes a high pitch noise all the time, not too bad, but a little annoying. I just did a full proper flush of the old fluid and replaced with Pentosin, no change in the noise. It will get a little higher pitched at full lock.

You should pop the wheel arch, chock your rear wheels real good and have a friend run the wheel while you're listening down by the pump. Follow that manual you linked a couple posts above and eliminate those possible causes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Power steering is electro-hydraulic, no belt. Mine makes a high pitch noise all the time, not too bad, but a little annoying. I just did a full proper flush of the old fluid and replaced with Pentosin, no change in the noise. It will get a little higher pitched at full lock.

You should pop the wheel arch, chock your rear wheels real good and have a friend run the wheel while you're listening down by the pump. Follow that manual you linked a couple posts above and eliminate those possible causes.
This noise is different from the normal "whine" of the pump. Its a squeak type noise that happens only when I turn the wheel right...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Going bad outer tie rod ball joint? It sounds mechanical. Like something is just worn out. Is it around at all speeds? Or can you only hear it in the garage bc of the low noise environment?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts