SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often my power steering will feel extremely hard to turn. It mostly happens when it is hot out and I have been driving the car for a while. What happens is I will be going around a corner and holding the wheel still but in a turning position and when I exit the corner and go to straighten the wheel it is extremely hard to turn but if I turn into the corner more then immediately the other way (basically like f1 drivers do to warm up their tires) it will break free and the wheel will turn with a normal amount of force once again. I had a leaky PS res so I replaced it with a new one from IPD along with the main hose from the res to the pump. I also had the pump replaced a few years ago with a rebuilt one from FCP. When I replaced the res the problem stopped happening so often but is still there. So my question is what do you guys think? Bad rack? Just too much p/s fluid? Or a failing pump? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The power steering system is especially touchy in the 04' I know this because mine was on the fritz for a while. I don't know why but the fluid level tends to be touchy as well. I suggest you make sure it is perfectly full, do a fluid swap, replace reservoir if leaking as that will cause problems in the future anyways.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The power steering system is especially touchy in the 04' I know this because mine was on the fritz for a while. I don't know why but the fluid level tends to be touchy as well. I suggest you make sure it is perfectly full, do a fluid swap, replace reservoir if leaking as that will cause problems in the future anyways.
I replaced the reservoir a month ago with a new one.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
How's the fluid level? Any froth when hot?

I suggest you take your car to an empty parking lot and do a few higher velocity turns, check the reservoir and make sure it's not frothy.

Check your Power Steering lines and make sure they are free flowing, I needed that done as they replaced a section with rubber hose and well...it blew up in the winter.

It does however seem like your steering rack is going. You can replace it if you have an engine brace.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Did you install the 04 or the 06 reservoir?

I need to change mine out as it's leaking. I've read the 06 model has a different, no-leak design but I'm not sure if it's a direct drop-in replacement.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure which model I got. The outlet ports were slightly different than the original. I got it from IPD and just chose the one that popped up when I entered all my car info.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Did you install the 04 or the 06 reservoir?

I need to change mine out as it's leaking. I've read the 06 model has a different, no-leak design but I'm not sure if it's a direct drop-in replacement.
05+ offers the no-leak design. Same parameters, direct drop in.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to check fluid levels if I get home at a decent hour today. I am hoping I just have slightly too much fluid in there. I am also thinking draining the system and putting all new fluid in is a good start before I go crazy spending money on a new rack. Where is the easiest place to drain it from?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm going to check fluid levels if I get home at a decent hour today. I am hoping I just have slightly too much fluid in there. I am also thinking draining the system and putting all new fluid in is a good start before I go crazy spending money on a new rack. Where is the easiest place to drain it from?
The iPD video on youtube on changing the reservoir has them using a turkey baster to clear most of the fluid from the reservoir, then pulled off the lower tube and getting the rest that way.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My 0.02$, had similar issues, it would get stiff at some positions turning (10 clock and 2 o'clock) buddy at the dealer said there's a good chance its U joints in the steering column. 100$ part, shes also a little clickity clack when turning in the parking garage. Problem has gone away since but acts up from time to time, I'm guessing the column or serpentine. No froth on to my P/S res or screams from under the hood.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 0.02$, had similar issues, it would get stiff at some positions turning (10 clock and 2 o'clock) buddy at the dealer said there's a good chance its U joints in the steering column. 100$ part, shes also a little clickity clack when turning in the parking garage. Problem has gone away since but acts up from time to time, I'm guessing the column or serpentine. No froth on to my P/S res or screams from under the hood.
thanks rick that sounds exactly like what i am experiencing 10o'clock and 2 o'clock is exactly where the problem exists and i have replaced the reservoir and fluid already and had the timing belt and serp belt changed 7k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem, it not the rack it's the gaiter, the rubber boot in which the steering rack passes through the fire wall (Volvo’s name not mine). Take a look at this thing in Vida it's not a simple grommet. I'm still trying to figure out why this is an issue but I now think that it has something to do with the outermost steel bushing (inside/footwell); it might be that needs to be pushed down deeper in to the gaiter to prevent rubber contact with the steering shaft. I’ve also hit it, both sides with alternating waves of WD40 and dry graphite spray (use the straw). Best results when the front is off the ground and you and swing the wheel left and right while applying the lubricant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts