SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my driving is city and my MPG is 17 to 18 MPG. Looking at sites I keep seeing people who drive 90% city miles but they get get 20 MPG.

March 2019 I bought this car, it is certified and had about 20,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 25,100 miles on it.

Using it for the same drives during the week my 1990 Jaguar XJ6 got 15.5 MPG. I would have assumed that a lighter car, a car with 16 years newer technology would do more than 2 MPG. Sometimes I feel like it is having a slight...very, very slight engine mis when going up the hill near my house. No CEL and it really does drive well. The mis is so small that it could even be my imagination.

On the highway the MPG is fine.

During a tank of gas my average MPH is about 20 MPH.

I'm thinking it is the wide, low profile tires and the AWD. I love the way the wide tires handle but my wife's back problems don't like the low profile.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just so you know, the XJ6 curb weight is 3900lbs. The V60 T5 AWD is also, 3900lbs.

17 does seem low, though. Check your tire pressures. 38PSI is recommended, you could even go a bit higher if you wanted.

Make sure you're running the recommended oil viscosity.

Don't stab the brakes or accelerator like everyone tends to so these days. Be gradual with all of your inputs. I'm sure you've been driving longer than I have but it blows me away how ****ty people are at driving these days, so I figured I would mention it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Also... Try calculating the FE yourself. You'd be surprised at how inaccurate the computer can be at times.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Also... Try calculating the FE yourself. You'd be surprised at how inaccurate the computer can be at times.
This is true though from my experience, the in dash reading is consistently optimistic by ~1 mpg.

I realize it's not an apples-to-apples comparison but our '16 V60 CC will return similar in-town mpg readings but will come close to 30 mpg on a steady freeway cruise. YMMV :D.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I'm averaging 27 mpg in my '15 S60 RD w/ P*. Most of my driving is highway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you know, the XJ6 curb weight is 3900lbs. The V60 T5 AWD is also, 3900lbs.

17 does seem low, though. Check your tire pressures. 38PSI is recommended, you could even go a bit higher if you wanted.

Make sure you're running the recommended oil viscosity.

Don't stab the brakes or accelerator like everyone tends to so these days. Be gradual with all of your inputs. I'm sure you've been driving longer than I have but it blows me away how ****ty people are at driving these days, so I figured I would mention it.

Ha --- so much for my 66 year old memory. I thought the 1990 XJ6 was in the 4,000 lbs and I guess my 1985 SIII was about the same weight. Thought they were heavier.

Anyhow ....................

I am light on the gas, light on stopping, etc. so many times I am in fear stopping at a light, looking in my mirror and seeing the car behind me hitting their brakes hard enough to make the nose dive down. Then the cars next to me speed up so fast I can only assume they had their left foot on the brake and right on the pedal so they can take off like a dragster rail.

Along with the dash computer I use fuelly.com to track MPG. I used fuelly results in the post and they tend to be less than the computer.

I run the tires at 35 because my wife has a bulging back disc and other joint related pains. The low profiles are great for handling but not so good for body aches and pains. I'll pump them back up to 38 and see how it goes.

With such low miles I can't think of any maintenance item that would change the MPG. Because of our driving habits (slow stop and go) I've recently changed to using only Top Tier gas. Top Tier has more detergents than the non-top tier most often served at grocery stores, etc. I am on my third tank of Top Tier but the MPG is the same. I also went for non-ethanol and didn't see a difference.

The only way I could compare apples to apples would be to those people who have about the same MPH per tankful of gas. Estimating the percent of city/highway is difficult but avg MPH would be a good indicator.

In recent years we had an S60 and a V50 all great cars.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have a FWD v60 which I drive almost exclusively in stop and go traffic. My commute is 7 miles and in the evenings that can take about 45 minutes. My mpg is indicated at 19. On the highway I can easily get 35 mpgs.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I average about 18-19 mpg (closer to 19) in the city as well on my FWD T5.
I'm light on the car with acceleration and stopping but the hills in Pittsburgh are more demanding.
So what you are getting is a tiny bit on the low side but your car is AWD and heavier than mine. Also depends, I suppose, if you carry many passengers with you. I usually don't and if any just one person.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a FWD v60 which I drive almost exclusively in stop and go traffic. My commute is 7 miles and in the evenings that can take about 45 minutes. My mpg is indicated at 19. On the highway I can easily get 35 mpgs.
I travel about 10 miles a day in stop and go. But nothing like a 45 minute drive to go 7 miles.

So if you are at 19 MPG and 35 on the highway I'll say I'm right where I should be with the MPG. I also get 35 on the highway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I average about 18-19 mpg (closer to 19) in the city as well on my FWD T5.
I'm light on the car with acceleration and stopping but the hills in Pittsburgh are more demanding.
So what you are getting is a tiny bit on the low side but your car is AWD and heavier than mine. Also depends, I suppose, if you carry many passengers with you. I usually don't and if any just one person.
Yep - the AWD is going to take more MPG.

The consensus seems to be that I am right around the MPG that I should be getting.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I travel about 10 miles a day in stop and go. But nothing like a 45 minute drive to go 7 miles.

So if you are at 19 MPG and 35 on the highway I'll say I'm right where I should be with the MPG. I also get 35 on the highway.
I also tend to drive aggressively and generally in sport mode when in traffic. It's dog-eat-dog out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I also tend to drive aggressively and generally in sport mode when in traffic. It's dog-eat-dog out there.
I see you are in Alexandria, VA. I can't even describe that traffic. :) Or should that be :eek:

I have a friend that used to commute from Alexandria to DC. He was so frustrated one day that he put a crack in his windshield from hitting it with his fist.
So a long commute for minimal miles is the life he lived.

Personally I try to get through that area much, much later at night. Get across the bridge and head north.

But you are still getting 19 in that stop and go? Now I'm thinking something may be wrong with my car.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
Your car is AWD so that may account for some of it. I'd say you are at the low end of the range for acceptable.

At one point not long ago I had 5 Volvos at home, from a '95 to a '16, 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder turbo'd cars. I drove each of the cars somewhat regularly pretty much the same mix of 75% local roads, 25% highway (maybe) and overall MPG for all five was between 22 and 23, lol. The newer Drive E cars do really well on the highway but in town there just isn't a big difference between drivetrains.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I see you are in Alexandria, VA. I can't even describe that traffic. :) Or should that be :eek:

I have a friend that used to commute from Alexandria to DC. He was so frustrated one day that he put a crack in his windshield from hitting it with his fist.
So a long commute for minimal miles is the life he lived.

Personally I try to get through that area much, much later at night. Get across the bridge and head north.

But you are still getting 19 in that stop and go? Now I'm thinking something may be wrong with my car.
As of this morning I am getting 18.7 on the computer. I zeroed everything out about a month ago after a longer road trip, I have not verified the mileage using math, but I suspect it's pretty close. I used Eco Mode this morning for ****s and giggles and the "miles til empty" calculation went up 30 miles (from 230 to 260) over the course of the drive in.

I am at a job site up on 9th Street right by the 9:30 Club, so the commute home is all stop and go down 9th, through the 9th Street Tunnel and onto 395. My record for the longest commute home is 2 hours and 15 minutes.It can be brutal.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Your car is AWD so that may account for some of it. I'd say you are at the low end of the range for acceptable.

At one point not long ago I had 5 Volvos at home, from a '95 to a '16, 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder turbo'd cars. I drove each of the cars somewhat regularly pretty much the same mix of 75% local roads, 25% highway (maybe) and overall MPG for all five was between 22 and 23, lol. The newer Drive E cars do really well on the highway but in town there just isn't a big difference between drivetrains.
My C30 got about 13 mpgs in all stop and go traffic. Heavy foot and a heavy tune didn't help things any. But man, was it fun to drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts