SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered the Liqui Moly (Step 1) kit on FCP Euro: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/6-cyl-additive-kit-step-1-liqui-moly-lmk0003#reviews

I've never heard of this product or process and wonder if it is really worth all the hype? More importantly, however, is it safe to use?

My 2010 XC60 T6 has 107k on the odometer and runs great. Since the initial free Volvo service expired years ago, I've performed almost all of the oil changes on this car and have used Castrol full synthetic 5W-30, as recommended in my owners manual (I like the Castrol Edge for High Mileage variety). Even when I allow 7k miles between oil changes (I still prefer to change oil at 5k), my used oil doesn't look terrible. It obviously doesn't like like new oil, but it isn't what I would call "black"...usually just really dark brown...and that is usually with a Wix or Mann filter.

I like the idea of optimum protection and take preventive maintenance very seriously, especially in this car since it is my wife's daily driver and the car we use for long vacations, so the idea of a product that can keep the engine clean and running well appeals to me. It seems a reasonably priced product/process, but would like to know if it is really of value? Moreover, if Liqui-Moly oil is supposed to be the bees knees for Volvo and other European makes, then why is Castrol the recommended brand by Volvo? Geographic region? Would the Liqui Moly treatment be just as effective with a "US" brand of oil?

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I am actually trying it this weekend. I have a 2014 XC60 with the T6. I didnt buy from FCP but Amazon. I bought the fuel cleaner and Ceratec, but not the engine flush. I used FCP's Liqui Moly oil change kit before and had pleasant results. I didnt send the oil out to be analyzed at all though. In my manual, they recommend Castrol "professional" 5w-30. Looking up those specs, it also says in my manual that you want to use A5/B5 ACEA spec oil. All that means is that it's a high mileage oil and good for fuel economy. The Liqui-Moly kit (with filter and o-rings) is A3/B4 or something similar. This is still high mileage oil, but with "better protection" albeit at the cost of fuel efficiency.

My last oil change was Pennzoil Platium 5w-30 as it is A5/B5 rated. I even used a Fram filter from walmart (its just a cartridge anyway). Cost me about $30 total give or take. I know others on this forum have used Pennzoil as well. I am trying the Pentosin oil change kit this time, and adding the ceratec product and fuel system cleaner as well. We will see if it does anything. My wife drives the car 90% of the time so I doubt she will be able to notice. I am also doing the oil trap box too. Lots planned....

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used the Liqui Moly kit on a 99 BMW 528i with 140k miles. The car was somewhat relatively maintained when I bought it but after the Liqui Moly treatment I felt that the car ran smoother.

I've also used Pennzoil on my 15 XC60 T5 and change it every 5k but recently experienced oil consumption at 93k miles and a P0171 code. Had the PCV system/oil trap replaced. Hoping that resolves it. Anyway, my mechanic uses Castol Edge but says Pennzoil is fine. It's probably all marketing arrangements when it comes to preferred oil. As long the oil meets specs then it should be good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts