SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to accept the fact that I have a cracked block. Which sucks because finances at the moment took an unexpected turn for the worst. A buddy on mine joked around and asked why don't I use a dremel tool to clean up the area of the crack and you something like quick steel or JB Weld to repair it? I'm the type of person that likes to do things the right way but would that work? It does hold a great amount of pressure and withstand a high amount of heat

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
No. End of thread.

Sorry to be an ass but no way that is ever going to work with the heat and combustion in there.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
you can still drive around with a cracked block, just try to stay out of boost and keep a gallon of coolant with you at all times

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You could shim the block but I know Tim Willams in the UK corrects the bore before he does and it usually solves the issue. I can't say for sure that shimming alone will completely solve your problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I like doug's fix for this, 2.3 or 2.4 block. They are much cheaper and easier to find, plus they take TONS OF BOOST :)
That would be the best solution new block and shim you'll never crack again

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
You could shim the block but I know Tim Willams in the UK corrects the bore before he does and it usually solves the issue. I can't say for sure that shimming alone will completely solve your problem

That's a bunch of crock...he can post whatever he wants. ..he did do that and that is a waste of mo ey ...know that he runs waterless Evans coolant and still has carbon in it...forums. ..anyone can say or post anything and most clueless. ...believe it.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts

That's a bunch of crock...he can post whatever he wants. ..he did do that and that is a waste of money ...know that he runs waterless Evans coolant and still has carbon in it...forums. ..anyone can say or post anything and most clueless. ...believe it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well that answers that question thanks Dougy. Your best option is gonna be to find a new block. That was your best option either way though

·
Registered
438 Posts
Getting a new block isn't mega high stress. You will also need a tune if I remember it right.

I have wondered if filling the slot with powdered metal epoxy in addition to the shin might work better than just shimming but I don't have good data on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Once its cracked its shot, there is no bringing it back from that kind of failure short of putting in new sleeves. That crack comes from the expansion of all the pressure pulses causing a fatigue crack in the weakest part of the cylinder, just like pulling on the edge of a sheet of paper causes a rip in the sheet at the weakest point. You can not unrip it and there is no scotch tape strong enough to hold it back together.

If sleeves are out of your price range, I would highly recommend the dougy solution of a finding a low stressed block and shimming it.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
You could also get a 2.5t LPT block... they're cheaper than a T5...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You could also get a 2.5t LPT block... they're cheaper than a T5...
All 2.5s are prone to the same issue of cracking though but shimming fixes that issue

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
All 2.5s are prone to the same issue of cracking though but shimming fixes that issue

Shimming may help but it will never solve it. However a 2.5t is 1/3 the price of a T5 block.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Time will tell how well the shim fix holds up. So far the most miles on a shimmed block appears to be 20K miles, and most of us with good tunes took over 100K miles to split our stock, unshimmed cylinders.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay so now that I know that's out of the picture where I live there is a lot of 2.4 blocks if I was able to get one what is the process of putting it back in my car?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Engine rebuild essentially. Spend the money to get all the gaskets and hoses and such done. Have the crank honed and get new bearings. Timing belt/water pump. Depends on your budget though. Machine shop the head.

I would ask doughy for cheap and stealthy for thorough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts