SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a V70 T6 AWD. They aren't available in the US. How can I buy a 2013 V70 and have it shipped here? What issues would I have with customs? Would changes to the emissions system be required to meet US specs? I can't imagine that Europe has less stringent emission standards. This may sound like a stupid post but I am serious. I am determined to get a V70. I don't want an XC. can anyone answer?
Thank you.
Jamie

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I want a V70 T6 AWD. They aren't available in the US. How can I buy a 2013 V70 and have it shipped here? What issues would I have with customs? Would changes to the emissions system be required to meet US specs? I can't imagine that Europe has less stringent emission standards. This may sound like a stupid post but I am serious. I am determined to get a V70. I don't want an XC. can anyone answer?
Thank you.
Jamie
Jamie,

Unfortunately even via Overseas Delivery this is not possible. And even if you tried to import one yourself it would not be worth the large amounts of money, time and effort. In addition to approval for US emissions standards there is also US safety standards and tests.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I wonder what the rules are for importing a vehicle from Mexico (with NAFTA)... That might be a back door -- import to Mexico, license it there for however long necessary, and then "import" into the US.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder what the rules are for importing a vehicle from Mexico (with NAFTA)... That might be a back door -- import to Mexico, license it there for however long necessary, and then "import" into the US.
Irrelevant. NAFTA is a economic decree. Has nothing to do with automobile regulations. I have experience with importing vehicles, and there only one way to get a vehicle past customs. That is having a letter from the manufacturer that it passes all US safety and emissions regulations.

99.9% of vehicles sold in Canada will meet those requirements, but the manufacturers won't give you a letter anymore on a new car because when vehicles were less expensive up there (due to exchange rate) people (like me) were importing them in droves.

Virtually nothing sold new in Mexico would even meet the requirements, even if it "looks like" the same vehicle sold in the US.

Vehicles from Europe MAY meet most of the requirements, but since they were not certified and tested to the US standards you won't get the certification. One obvious fail is the headlights from a European spec vehicle would need a changeout - even though they are better, they don't meet the US spec.

The takeaway point is that it doesn't matter where the vehicle is entering the border or where from, it only matters if it meets the US regulations applicable at time of manufacture.

Now for the nitpickers, yes there is another way to get a car in. If you have essentially unlimited funds (because you will need them), you can have any car imported and taken (no driving it!) to a US certified shop to have it rebuilt to US regulations. A very long and very complicated process with no guarantee of success.

NAFTA will apply on how much duty you pay at the border. Made in US, Mexico or Canada = Zero. Made somewhere else and it's 2.5% on cars and SUVs, 25% on trucks. Examples: Import a made in Japan car from Canada and you still pay the 2.5%. Import a made in US vehicle from anywhere back to the US = Zero.

-Jon

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Can you still get it through the military perhaps?

I am with Bob...get the XC70T6.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Irrelevant. NAFTA is a economic decree. Has nothing to do with automobile regulations. I have experience with importing vehicles, and there only one way to get a vehicle past customs. That is having a letter from the manufacturer that it passes all US safety and emissions regulations.

99.9% of vehicles sold in Canada will meet those requirements, but the manufacturers won't give you a letter anymore on a new car because when vehicles were less expensive up there (due to exchange rate) people (like me) were importing them in droves.
What about people who reside in Mexico/Canada and then drive into the US? Is there any rule that the vehicle can then only stay in the US a certain amount of time?

I see cars with Canadian plates all the time...

I know that under NAFTA, the big rigs (and their drivers) from Mexico don't have to meet all the US requirements.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Can you still get it through the military perhaps?

I am with Bob...get the XC70T6.
Members of the US Military may purchase European specification Volvo cars while they are stationed in Europe. However they may not ship a European specification car to the US when they have transfer orders to return stateside.

I third what Bob and you have said...get the XC70 T6

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
That is an interesting thought about Canada. A lot of Candians buy used used cars (Barrier Volvo in Bellevue, WA for example sell a lot of used XC90's to folks in Vancouver) in the US.. I am not sure what happens at that point however (getting BC plates, etc).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Importing to Canada from USA

That is an interesting thought about Canada. A lot of Candians buy used used cars (Barrier Volvo in Bellevue, WA for example sell a lot of used XC90's to folks in Vancouver) in the US.. I am not sure what happens at that point however (getting BC plates, etc).

You can bring Volvo's in from the USA but the speedo must be chaged to KMs and also some other minor adjustments
Then you pay taxes at the border and other taxes at registration. The car has to go for an inspection and once passed
you can register with BC plates.
As an FYI not all cars can be brought in this way e.g you cannot register a US spec Mercedes not matter what you do
it does not meet Canadian safety specs ( i think it's to do with child seats, but I am not sure)

Is it cheaper? yes as cars in the US are cheaper and the can $ is above par.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would get the XC70 and lower it, install performance anti-sway bars (Call IPD) and pay a reputable paint/body shop to paint the cladding to match the car's factory paint.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I sold my 2007 GL320CDI, 2008 ML320CDI, and 2008 GL450 to Canadian buyers. No problem registering them. Two went to Quebec and one to Ontario.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I sold my 2007 GL320CDI, 2008 ML320CDI, and 2008 GL450 to Canadian buyers. No problem registering them. Two went to Quebec and one to Ontario.
How was that GL450? I've been curious about those big beasts for a while.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I like that engine and transmission combination. However, if you want a beast, the GL550 vastly more powerful. Or the...GL63! :p

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
By the way, if you buy a car in the US and take it to Canada, no Safe+Secure coverage.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Or the...GL63! :p
Those are rare.....I would love a new E63 Wagon with the track pack....I believe the most rare Benz you can buy in North America....

Ooops, this is about Volvo's....sorry!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
By the way, if you buy a car in the US and take it to Canada, no Safe+Secure coverage.
Can't they swing back over the border and get it through a US dealer?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Those are rare.....I would love a new E63 Wagon with the track pack....I believe the most rare Benz you can buy in North America....

Ooops, this is about Volvo's....sorry!!!
I ordered one and sold my spot in line for $2500. $129k MSRP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts