SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘20 V60 Cross Country
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. Our car doesn’t have the HK system. Or rather. It has the base system. One of the drawbacks of picking a car off the lot is you can’t always get what you want. What I’m wondering, is it possible to order all the HK components and have the dealership run a software update to get the HK features? It’s probably going to cost double than optioning it from the factory, but I’m fine with it if I feel it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6P* Momentum
182 Posts
It's a huge difference (the dedicated subwoofer and surround sound really liven the audio) and no loss of trunk space. People in the S90 forum have done audio upgrades by swapping out the amplifier and speakers. On eBay someone is selling the H/K speakers without an amp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've seen threads where people have done this - or basically changed the amp and sub to the HK version - I'm certain there was an entire write up complete with diagrams and pictures.

I've also seen threads where people have made (or maybe purchased) a special enclosure and an aftermarket amp, and installed the sub in some obscure location.

If it were me, and my vehicle didn't come with HK (and I absolutely wanted upgraded audio) - I think I'd talk to a professional at a local shop and bring my concerns to their attention. They might be able to help aid your decision one way or another...and if you did end up going the factory route, I'd bet they'd do the conversion for you. There are probably better quality parts available than the HK system at a cheaper price...or even way better components at a similar price -- knowing where the upgrade in components are needed and where they'd be essentially useless is where I think the true audiophile's expertise would come in handy.

·
Registered
‘20 V60 Cross Country
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a huge difference (the dedicated subwoofer and surround sound really liven the audio) and no loss of trunk space. People in the S90 forum have done audio upgrades by swapping out the amplifier and speakers. On eBay someone is selling the H/K speakers without an amp.
Good idea, I didn't think to look at eBay. There doesn't seem to be anything for a SPA V60 right now. I'll keep checking though!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before going to the effort, try to spend a few minutes in an HK car listening to the same music from the same source and make sure the improvements is worth the cost and hassle to you. I have the HK and don’t think it’s so amazing that I’d go out of my way for it. It’s fine.

·
Registered
‘20 V60 Cross Country
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before going to the effort, try to spend a few minutes in an HK car listening to the same music from the same source and make sure the improvements is worth the cost and hassle to you. I have the HK and don’t think it’s so amazing that I’d go out of my way for it. It’s fine.
Yeah, I was planning on sitting in a HK car when I take my car for service. Looks like the only V60s on the lot either have the base system or B&W though. I'll have to try it on something else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, I was planning on sitting in a HK car when I take my car for service. Looks like the only V60s on the lot either have the base system or B&W though. I'll have to try it on something else.
On the xc60, the HK system is standard on Inscription model (I'm like 99% sure) so maybe double check if it is standard on the v60 also

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good idea, I didn't think to look at eBay. There doesn't seem to be anything for a SPA V60 right now. I'll keep checking though!

The S90 system is almost the same. It has a slightly higher wattage, but the woofers and tweeters, should bolt in. I only see the rear (or front idk) door tweeters missing in this. Because the subwoofer alone is $450 online and $500+ retail, center channel is about $170 if I recall correctly, this is a decent deal if you make a offer on because its been on ebay forever. The only speakers I'm not sure about are the midranges.

·
Registered
‘20 V60 Cross Country
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The S90 system is almost the same. It has a slightly higher wattage, but the woofers and tweeters, should bolt in. I only see the rear (or front idk) door tweeters missing in this. Because the subwoofer alone is $450 online and $500+ retail, center channel is about $170 if I recall correctly, this is a decent deal if you make a offer on because its been on ebay forever. The only speakers I'm not sure about are the midranges.
So I would need the HK amp off a V60, preferably? and since I'm assuming the standard system doesn't have a subwoofer, all the mounting hardware required and some kind of subwoofer trim panel for the trunk?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm looking at newer V60's, or perhaps V60CC, and what I've seen googlin' around is that over 3/4ths of the CC's have the base audio.
I'm following this thread to see what develops, but I might think that a good place to start would be adding a subwoofer, and the factory HK one would be the first that I looked at. With that, you certainly could find an amp to drive it, one that includes speaker-level inputs, and tap into existing wires going to a door panel woofer.
You could always then upgrade the other speakers if desired to something aftermarket. This would have to cost a lot less than a complete replacement, and perhaps offer better sound.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I would need the HK amp off a V60, preferably? and since I'm assuming the standard system doesn't have a subwoofer, all the mounting hardware required and some kind of subwoofer trim panel for the trunk?
I just looked at the H/K sub from my S60 and the mounting point is a lil different from the S90. You might have to run the wire from the amp, but the subwoofer should just bolt in to the chassis. It vents to the wheel well and mounts to the body. Not sure if there is a center channel with high performance sound either which could mean another wire you have to run if the wire isn't pre-installed.

Now from what I can tell the amp is shared between the XC60-S60

Here's the subwoofer part number 31456823

1 - 11 of 11 Posts