SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year at a GTG, I left my keys in the ignition because people were looking at my car, listening to exhaust etc.

Well, someone accidently hit the lock button or pressed down on the door lock pin when getting out, and partially closed the door (couldn't open it, but wasn't shut).

I was happy to wait for ADAC to come with a wire and open door, very easy since door wasn't completely shut (good centimeter of clearance still). Someone, who typically knows a lot about Volvos, against my wishes and without my consent slammed the door shut the rest of the way, thinking it would cause the door to unlock since the keys were in the ignition.

This did not happen, and I was not pleased.

When ADAC did arrive, he was able to use the inflating bladders to get in and unlock the door, but I am left with this (my hope that door would regain its shape did not come to pass).

versus this

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: Is it possible to unbend a door? ("R" Kelly)

Kelly,

Go find a small chunk of 2x4 or 4x4 like 4-6" long. Place the wood in the door jam in a sturdy place, preferably the latch area. Make sure you roll down the glass before you get started. Then start pushing on the door at the corner that needs to move inword. Just give it a good shove or two and then pull the wood and check to see how it's lined up. Repeat until you get it right.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Is it possible to unbend a door? (KVB)

Quote, originally posted by KVB »
Kelly,

Go find a small chunk of 2x4 or 4x4 like 4-6" long. Place the wood in the door jam in a sturdy place, preferably the latch area. Make sure you roll down the glass before you get started. Then start pushing on the door at the corner that needs to move inword. Just give it a good shove or two and then pull the wood and check to see how it's lined up. Repeat until you get it right.

Kevin
That is a BRAVE move. I would personally suggest you visit a reputable body shop and have them tweak it back into place.

BTW - doesn't the wind noise from the breech drive you crazy on the Autobahn?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: Is it possible to unbend a door? (bschurr)

I used to work at a reputable body shop and this is exactly how they will "tweak" it back into shape. There are secrets to getting this fixed, you just gotta bend it back into place, plain and simple. If it were my car that needed this, I would have no concerns about tweaking it back into place myself.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Kevin -
I didnt say it was the incorrect procedure, I simply stated that I would take it to a professional to have it corrected. I am not questioning your credentials as a (former) body shop employee however, if the window frame is racked or torsionally twisted by your procedure than the result could be much worse than the original situation. The pressure or impact to correct the defect needs to be in the opposite direction of the pressure that caused the deformation.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Kelly,

Kevin

This procedure but performed by a pro so you can blame it all on them might things go wrong..

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Kelly,

Kevin

Kevins right. A car thief tried to pry the top of the door open on my last car and shove a coat hanger into the door. That's what I did to fix it. I think I used something like an old shoe instead of the board. It doesn't take much force to bend that back.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: Is it possible to unbend a door? (bschurr)

Actually, what KVB mentioned is what we in the business call a "professional adjustment."

By placing the wooden block in the way, it allows you to bend the top of the door frame towards the inside of the vehicle.

Adjustments like this are done all the time to eliminate wind noise issues, aesthetic issues, etc.

R Kelly, you can totally do that yourself. As KVB mentioned, roll your window down first. Then adjust it GENTLY. Easy does it. Make small adjustments until the door frame is where it should be.

Since the window is down, you'd have to bend it pretty bad (to the point that the door probably wouldn't shut) because you'd run the risk of taking the window off track.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Is it possible to unbend a door? (R Salesman)

Thanks Kevin et al.

Will try this. Inga is getting a scratch and small dent fixed tomorrow, maybe I'll "fix" the door at dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: Is it possible to unbend a door? ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
Thanks Kevin et al.

Will try this. Inga is getting a scratch and small dent fixed tomorrow, maybe I'll "fix" the door at dealer tomorrow.

You mean your not doing this yourself? I was hoping for see another video from the "R" Kelly Arcives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts