SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if it is possible to swap default audio with Bowers Wilkins set. Back in days Dynaudio set could be purchased and retrofitted into cars that didnt have it from the factory. So I wonder if such set is available or if you could just buy individual parts and DIY. Or software/wiring would make it not even possible. Thanks

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The best you may do is:
- Wire 2 pairs of speaker wires to 4 door panes.
- Buy B&W speakers, including center dash speaker and sub-woofer
- Buy B&W amplifier
- Hook them up

The cost is higher than B&W option on new car.
Then you will have near B&W quality, but still there is no Concert Hall surrounding sound.
So overall it is not worthy. Maybe just change the car to a CPO with B&W.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. Pretty much what I expected. Doable with some limitations and no help from Volvo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My approach, the sneak version is to just swap the existing speakers to B&W.
I love B&W and have had three pairs in my home audio systems, but in the Volvo, the upgraded amplifier makes a significant contribution to the improved sound that comes with the factory-installed option. Installing B&W drivers will make an improvement over default audio, but won't deliver same sound as factory installed option.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, it's a catch up and will not ever be like the factory install, but its a price worthy alternative. That's if you buy used B&W speakers. It's a starting point and you can build on more as you feel. Most probably, little by little you will end up switching everything you can, if you have no limits.

The base speakers I haven’t switched since the HP ones seem to be coping pretty well. What I definitely noticed is the clarity of the mid-high range, improved considerably, for me sufficient enough to make me feel it was worth whiled.

I ended up, apart from switching all the mid and tweeters, I also added mid and tweeters to the back passenger doors and added the central dash speaker. So left is the HP amplifier, the base speakers in the doors and subwoofer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did it and would do it again. Troll Ebay for a volvo parts supplier and ask if they can find the speakers out of a wrecked vehicle. If you need an amp, I have one I'll let go for cheap. I tried one out of both an XC90 and V90 t see if I could get the software to come up, without success. That said, B&W retrofit sounds quite a bit better than the standard system..

·
Registered
40 Posts
My company focuses on Home Technology, Automation, Lighting, etc. but if anyone ever wanted to put together a good "XC90 Audio Upgrade Package" I can get killer pricing direct from manufacturers or from my distributors. Better than any of the "group buy" prices that require huge amounts of people to participate.

I have two T6 XC90s 2016 and 2017 - one with B&W and one without and want to upgrade but don't have the time to research.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My company focuses on Home Technology, Automation, Lighting, etc. but if anyone ever wanted to put together a good "XC90 Audio Upgrade Package" I can get killer pricing direct from manufacturers or from my distributors. Better than any of the "group buy" prices that require huge amounts of people to participate.

I have two T6 XC90s 2016 and 2017 - one with B&W and one without and want to upgrade but don't have the time to research.
What's a ballpark pricing on the audio upgrade package?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The simplest way to get a part list, in my opinion, would be getting a VIN off the car with B&W and go to the dealer and ask for a favor - go through the parts system and write down everything; speakers, electronics, wiring (of different), etc. I would do it, but looks like our long term plans for XC had changed.

bTW, having XC60 with B&W as a loaner was an eye-opener on the difference in audio. soo much better...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Before you go spending thousands of $ on parts - you are going to have to use Vida to program Senus to include the B&W Concert Hall feature and when VIDA sees your VIN the B&W feature is not on their DB for your VIN I'm going to assume there will be no way to upload that feature it unless you are a really talented VIDA hackers. But what do I know...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I need a specific list of part numbers in order to put together pricing.

I’m not a car audio guy and wouldn’t even know where to begin
As these parts are Volvo-specific, I doubt you'll be able to get them outside of Volvo's parts distribution network.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts