SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am on vacation and my XC90 T8 is valet parked near the airport. The car polled me to say it was unlocked and out of habit I used the app to lock it. I now realise that the parking vendor may have left it deliberately unlocked with the keys in it in a secure location. Will the car have locked if the keys are in it ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi

I am on vacation and my XC90 T8 is valet parked near the airport. The car polled me to say it was unlocked and out of habit I used the app to lock it. I now realise that the parking vendor may have left it deliberately unlocked with the keys in it in a secure location. Will the car have locked if the keys are in it ?
Yes, you can!
I did that last year coming back from the States (I live in EU). My car was at the shop during my absence and I came back after closing hours so I asked the mechanic to put the key in the car and I remotely locked it. The mechanic confirmed on the phone the car was locked. When I got there I unlocked with the app and I was good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I just went out and put our extra key onto the driver seat and was able to lock the vehicle with the door handle with my key in my hand. Switched keys and the same thing. I locked and unlocked by using the handle. I did not try locking and unlocking by using the key buttons, but assume the same thing would happen. Our Chevy Bolt, and our Toyota Highlander Hybrid would not allow the door to be locked with the key inside. Good to remember. I took the extra key and placed it back in our bedroom at least 30 meters away, then I placed my key on the driver seat and closed the door and tried to lock the car with the handle. It would not lock or indicate that anything was happening. So I suspect that the signal does not travel through the car window or door. Interesting

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I just went out and put our extra key onto the driver seat and was able to lock the vehicle with the door handle with my key in my hand. Switched keys and the same thing. I locked and unlocked by using the handle. I did not try locking and unlocking by using the key buttons, but assume the same thing would happen. Our Chevy Bolt, and our Toyota Highlander Hybrid would not allow the door to be locked with the key inside. Good to remember. I took the extra key and placed it back in our bedroom at least 30 meters away, then I placed my key on the driver seat and closed the door and tried to lock the car with the handle. It would not lock or indicate that anything was happening. So I suspect that the signal does not travel through the car window or door. Interesting
There are signal receivers at multiple locations so it pretty much detects if there is key inside or outside the car.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
There are signal receivers at multiple locations so it pretty much detects if there is key inside or outside the car.
Interesting. I wonder how it makes the determination of outside vs inside. If by absolute dimensions, then there is a limit to the precision of its definition of inside vs outside; i.e. there may be some far reaching edges of the interior that may be (incorrectly) deemed as outside. If by means of Faraday Cage (e.g. the metal body panel serves as an EM shield) for the "inside" and "outside" sensors to reconcile, then opening another door / window wide open might confuse the determination.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I did it a few times, to go for a run, and not to worry about losing my car keys. However, on the last time, I was unable to unlock the door. I even dialed in to Volvo, and they attempted to open the car remotely. They could not. Had to call roadside assistance.

Won't do it again.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how it makes the determination of outside vs inside. If by absolute dimensions, then there is a limit to the precision of its definition of inside vs outside; i.e. there may be some far reaching edges of the interior that may be (incorrectly) deemed as outside. If by means of Faraday Cage (e.g. the metal body panel serves as an EM shield) for the "inside" and "outside" sensors to reconcile, then opening another door / window wide open might confuse the determination.
True, wireless is never accurate. Maybe there are dead corners, but common spot probably are detected mostly. And it doesn't need to make decision if a door is open.
Open a door and lock the car with door handle probably doesn't work. Lock with key fob button? I didn't tried but then inside or outside key doesn't matter to me if door is open.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I did it a few times, to go for a run, and not to worry about losing my car keys. However, on the last time, I was unable to unlock the door. I even dialed in to Volvo, and they attempted to open the car remotely. They could not. Had to call roadside assistance.
That's unfortunate. How about either carrying the sport key or the backup L-shaped door key?

·
Registered
719 Posts
That's unfortunate. How about either carrying the sport key or the backup L-shaped door key?
Good point. I use it with my shorts that have a small pocket in the back. I tried with the regular keys once, ant the bounce managed to rip apart the inside of the pocket, and fell. I was worried that would happen. Good that I caught it on time.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Good point. I use it with my shorts that have a small pocket in the back. I tried with the regular keys once, ant the bounce managed to rip apart the inside of the pocket, and fell. I was worried that would happen. Good that I caught it on time.
In that case, the sports activity key is probably better than the backup L-shaped door key. The latter might not be kind to fabric pockets, even with the rounded edges.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me a while back. I left key in car and used app to lock. But then it would not unlock and Volvo could not unlock either. They kept sending signal but it would not unlock. Had to Uber home to get my other key (only 2 miles from home) and unlock car. I was having VOC issues due to a failing battery. Never had issue again after battery replacement.

Won't do it again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We often go here and there internationally and most of the time we use SmartParking by JFK. They've been great so far. However, I never leave my keys inside the car, but the sport one only. Their policy states if they want to get in touch me they'll contact me via call and/or text. And in such case, I just use my app to unlock/lock the car from Riviera Maya, for example. I have a friend who accidentally locked his keys in the '19 Benz trunk. We tried everything, from twisting the back seats to the square ski space in between, and still no luck even with their app. It's like a sealed space until you call them so they can remotely open the trunk for you. So, I'm just being curious now, if Volvo deliberately left this option opened and simply gave the owner another choice to open the locked keys with the app or it can be another "backdoor" for some malicious mind? Wonder why Benz don't have such thing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts