SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V50 rear is out of control! I feel as though the fronts look ok, but the rear is crazy high. Now that I adjusted the rear camber from -2.1 to -.8, I feel like the gap got even bigger!

I think I could easily install rear springs myself, fronts not so much. Rear eibachs (a subtle 1.2" drop) would even out the front to back gap.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yes you can...

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you can....
I guess the real question was where can I find just a rear set of springs? I highly doubt any distributor will split a set.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
just so you know: there are separate spring sets available for the FWD crew... don't know about AWD though.
I ordered some new H&R springs only for the rear because one of them broke.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just so you know: there are separate spring sets available for the FWD crew... don't know about AWD though.
I ordered some new H&R springs only for the rear because one of them broke.
Where'd you find them, crossie?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I've got an extra set of rear springs from my KW V2 (AWD) that have the yellow coating flaked off. They don't look good but they should be functionally fine. You could plastidip or powder coat them if desired. PM me if you're interested in them.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PM'd.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Replied. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a reason why the rear of the car is higher. I would not lower this unless you are planning on taking your car to the track. Here is my story...I lowered my car about 10 months ago. I used Koni FSD and also Eibach Sport springs. It dropped the car about 2 inches. I also replaced both the front axles because there was a mild vibration as a result of the lowering. The vibration never went away, but as a matter of fact they got worser. I got SPC adjustable cambers in the rear. I also purchase new Continental DWS lower profile tires, not dramatic but it was 235/35/17s. About 15K later the handling became worse. I had the rear tires replaced because the technicians indicated they were coning out and had some irregularities developing on them. Another 15K later the front end started to shake crazy. I was thinking hey, I'm tired of this, I placed back the rear springs. The handling improved somewhat, but then I put the original camber -2.5 back on. This was horrible. I took it again for a second set of eyes and they said that the tires were trashed. Too much vibration because of these tires, and also, the hard springs and suspension caused the damage....
I'm not sure how much money you want to spend, but don't think it will end with just the springs....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Did anyone else hear ZZ Top playing when they read the thread title?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
There is a reason why the rear of the car is higher. I would not lower this unless you are planning on taking your car to the track. Here is my story...I lowered my car about 10 months ago. I used Koni FSD and also Eibach Sport springs. It dropped the car about 2 inches. I also replaced both the front axles because there was a mild vibration as a result of the lowering. The vibration never went away, but as a matter of fact they got worser. I got SPC adjustable cambers in the rear. I also purchase new Continental DWS lower profile tires, not dramatic but it was 235/35/17s. About 15K later the handling became worse. I had the rear tires replaced because the technicians indicated they were coning out and had some irregularities developing on them. Another 15K later the front end started to shake crazy. I was thinking hey, I'm tired of this, I placed back the rear springs. The handling improved somewhat, but then I put the original camber -2.5 back on. This was horrible. I took it again for a second set of eyes and they said that the tires were trashed. Too much vibration because of these tires, and also, the hard springs and suspension caused the damage....
I'm not sure how much money you want to spend, but don't think it will end with just the springs....
You would do much better if you used Eibach Pro kit instead of Sport, but even with the Sport you shouldn't be getting 2" of lowering. No wonder you had all that problems with that much lowering.
Original camber is not -2.5, it should be -1.72° ± 1°.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'd suggest buying the entire kit, then just installing the rear. You may end up wanting the front lowered as well (who knows?)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
it would look very stupid though. The elevate lowering springs actually do a VERY good job on look. Just need firmer struts and shocks though because the ride will suck, especially with 18s+

1 - 18 of 18 Posts