SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 02 S60 AWD and I was talking to the service manager about upgrading my stock 16s to 17s or 18inch wheels and tires and he informed me that it could damage my AWD unit. Has anyone heard of this issue. He also informed me that I need to replace all 4 tire at the sametime and not just the typical 2 at a time. Does this guy know what he's talking about or should I talk to someone from another service department?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Is it ok to change my S60 AWD wheel & tires to 17s or 18s? (Kauaiboy)

I think the dealer is mistaking with the V70 AWD 2002 model and the V70XC.
Those cars use the Visco AWD system instead of the HALDEX system used on your S60.
If I am correct the HALDEX has overcome the diameter difference problem.
The HALDEX system is also programmable but to what extend I don't know.
I have been told, hearsay, the HALDEX system can be reprogrammed to R spec also and this system is used with 18" wheels but other sources say that the R Haldex is different from the other Haldex systems.
The 18" wheels with the correct circumference should not be a problem for that car unless there must be some written tech report from Volvo.
17" isn't a problem anyway.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Is it ok to change my S60 AWD wheel & tires to 17s or 18s? (Johann)

Did he say what would be the problem that changing the rim size would cause???? Most of the time when the rim size gets bigger the tire gets smaller, so the overall size of rim and tire remains the same. For example when i went from 16' to 18' my tires went from i want to say 205/55/16 i think to 225/40/18.

SPENCER

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Is it ok to change my S60 AWD wheel & tires to 17s or 18s? (Gotballs)

I have a 2.4t and I put 18in Chrome aftermarket wheels on it. My Tires were 245/40/18. I never had a problem with rubing or anything, so its okay to put 18s on ur car. better yet just put 20z and send me pics lol.
WiseGUy

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Is it ok to change my S60 AWD wheel & tires to 17s or 18s? (WiseGuyVolvoS60)

Wiseguy,

You tire size is rather large.
Best would be to go 225/40-18, I use 235/40-18.
I'm surprised you did not get any wheel rubbing.

·
Registered
386 Posts

yeah check those numbers on your tires again.. wouldnt that make your rims... 8.5 inches wide?????????? Doesnt sound right to me...

~SPENCER

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Is it ok to change my S60 AWD wheel & tires to 17s or 18s? (Gotballs)

No, im 100% sure that i got 245/40/18. Also when i bought my rimz i made sure not to go over 8in wide. i heard that if i get anything over 8, they will rub and give me problems. I wish i coulda went bigger but i didnt wanna ruin the whole car cuase of a set of wheels.

WiseGUy

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

quote:

I think the dealer is mistaking with the V70 AWD 2002 model and the V70XC. Those cars use the Visco AWD system instead of the HALDEX system used on your S60. If I am correct the HALDEX has overcome the diameter difference problem.
Yup, I think this is correct. There shouldn't be any problem going to 17 or 18 inch wheels as long as all of them are the exact same, including the tires.

-Drew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Is it ok to change my S60 AWD wheel & tires to 17s or 18s? ([email protected])

Thanks for all your help folks. Now all I have to do is find a set of rims that I like and that will fit.

Kauaiboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts