with 150,000 miles on only worth 2,000$ according to KBB
the insurance rate is 300$

my 2017 RAV4 platinum worth 32,000$
the insurance is 298$, lol

I dont even know what is going on anymore

·
Registered
37 Posts
more safety features lower the rate of the Rav4 and probably the power has to do with that too.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Volvos have never held a high resale value. You can buy a 3 year old Volvo for about 1/2 of what it cost new.
But OEM Volvo parts are still expensive. The moment these cars drop below $10k, they are are high risk of being totaled in a minor accident.
You'll see the same with most European cars.

Consider a slight corner hit, resulting in a new fender, new wheel, new tire, maybe a new strut, and a new LCA. All parts that could be easily swapped out in about 2 hours and parts could be found cheap. But insurance isn't in the game of fixing things, they're in the game of replacing. They're going to source a new fender, get it painted, possibly blend match, a new wheel from Volvo costing about $500, a new tire. They won't just replace a damaged strut, they're replacing the spring, the mount, the bearing, the end link. Plus labor fees. It easily gets over 50% of the car's value and that's when it gets totaled.

That being said, there's some easy-to-fix finds at salvage auctions.

On the flip side. Japanese cars don't depreciate as quickly and their parts are usually cheaper. So they're less likely to get totaled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not to mention my 2008 volvo C30
with 150,000 miles on only worth 2,000$ according to KBB
My 2011 C30 R-Design with 99K is only worth $3900... So you're not the only one. I have noticed a lot of parted out C30s but no seat skins. Most I have seen the airbags were deployed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I read somewhere one should consider dropping comprehensive and collision (I currently have both) when the yearly premium (currently $222) exceeds 10% of the car's fair market value (my '08 comes in at about $453 NADA).
Thus, I got a couple more years to keep paying comp and collision.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
My Moms c30 was totaled when it was rear ended. Shattering the tailgate really sent it over the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I read somewhere one should consider dropping comprehensive and collision (I currently have both) when the yearly premium (currently $222) exceeds 10% of the car's fair market value (my '08 comes in at about $453 NADA).
Thus, I got a couple more years to keep paying comp and collision.
That's definitely a smart practice. I don't carry comprehensive or collision on anything but the Porsche and Subaru.

You also need to factor in what your deductible is. I have a $1k deductible and parts cars, so I know I could rebuild anything but frame damage for far less than what insurance would quote. It's not worth paying a higher premium for a car that could be totaled at $2500 in damages, especially when I'd already have to pay $1000 of that and could probably fix it myself for less than that $1000. If damage exceeds my abilities, I could part the car out for more than it's worth and make money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts