SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil many times in my life but always wondered if it's better to flush the oil when it's cold or hot ?

I want the oil to completely drip out because i want to switch from Castrol edge synth 5w40 to royal purp, thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I've always done it warm. As in, I let it cool a little bit before starting the work.

Also, you can toss a can of Seafoam into it, to help it drain out faster.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes, warm to hot. Just don't get burned. Not to knock royal purple, have you looked into Amsoil? It's the only oil I use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As hot as you can get it. the hotter engine oil is the thinner and more easily it flows. Therefor if you take your car out and drive it pretty hard, the oil will be much thinner and when you drain it, not only will it drain faster but will also drain more completely.

Side not you might want to invest in some gloves, hot oil can burn you.

·
2,521 Posts
Gloves or have mad pullout game

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Gloves or have mad pullout game
LOLz

Also try to pull the plug right after you have run the engine. More likely to carry out particles that would otherwise settle to the bottom of the pan and not flow out as easily or at all.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Back in college I worked at a full service gas station (any one remember those?) and I absolutely hated doing oil changes on hot engines. There's nothing quite like hot oil running down the back of your forearm and dripping off your elbow as you're removing the drain plug.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If by flush you mean change the oil, do it on a hot engine. thread the oil drain plug 99% of the way, then just pull the plug quickly and you wont get oil everywhere

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Definitely hot but if it is your first time DON'T do it HOT. You want first time to do it when it is warm to cold so if you mess up you will not get burned. You will also learn how the oil flows out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Decided to still run 5w40 castrol edge full synthetic for this winter, i flushed it hot.

The oil seemed in very good shape, brown/goldish and no residues nor bubbles in the container, really pleased with this oil !

5w40 is definatly the oil to go when going for more engine power so it doesnt thin too much when hot, i recommend it even if the owners manuel says 5w30. :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you don't want to fool with "hot oil" I suggest folks look into the Fumoto Quik-Valve for their specific Volvo engine. I love mine on my S80. I have them on several of my other cars as well.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you don't want to fool with "hot oil" I suggest folks look into the Fumoto Quik-Valve for their specific Volvo engine. I love mine on my S80. I have them on several of my other cars as well.
Interesting. There are a bit expensive but I like the idea of turning a valve to drain. I have a magnetic plug on my fleet currently and kind of enjoy pulling them to see if there is any particulate captured on it. I guess with the quik-valve, that would not be an option. Do you have the F-104N?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts