SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if Deezer is a part of Sensus and you can use it fully (incl. downloading music) or at least via carplay. I start liking it more than Spotify. (my XC90 is arriving in 2 weeks, that's why I am only asking , not trying :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I wonder if Deezer is a part of Sensus and you can use it fully (incl. downloading music) or at least via carplay. I start liking it more than Spotify. (my XC90 is arriving in 2 weeks, that's why I am only asking , not trying :)
Deezer claims they are on CarPlay as of December.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good. Another question is - does Sensus have its own user HDD storage where you can download your own stuff (for example Deezer or Spotify music etc ?), or you have to download everything to your iPhone ?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Good. Another question is - does Sensus have its own user HDD storage where you can download your own stuff (for example Deezer or Spotify music etc ?), or you have to download everything to your iPhone ?
Sensus, I believe, has local storage of the apps only - I don't know that you can "save" anything to them from the limited apps available now.
Sensus apps are very limited and rather slow, your best bet by far will be via CarPlay.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This question made me realize I have another question.

As far as CarPlay apps go... I'm assuimng that other than the base Apple "stock apps" (Music, Messages, Maps, etc.), for other apps to show up in the CarPlay interface, 1) they have to be a "CarPlay" app, which presumably means some extra layer of Apple approval, and 2) you have to have the app installed on your phone?

I use Overcast for podcast listening, and that one showed up immediately after I activated CarPlay. But Deezer, which I'm not familiar with, doesn't show up, presumably because I don't use it and don't have it installed.

Is there a list of "CarPlay apps" somewhere?

BTW, after a month or more of use, my feelings about CarPlay are decidedly mixed. There are a lot of weird/quirky things about it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
As far as CarPlay apps go... I'm assuimng that other than the base Apple "stock apps" (Music, Messages, Maps, etc.), for other apps to show up in the CarPlay interface, 1) they have to be a "CarPlay" app, which presumably means some extra layer of Apple approval, and 2) you have to have the app installed on your phone?
My understanding is that there are "CarPlay specific requirements for UI, available actions, etc" that have to be complied with for the app to be CarPlay compliant.
Marco Arment who did Overcast said (i'm trying to find source) that it was very easy to make his app CarPlay compliant. The app would then go through the normal approvals that all revisions do...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think I also got sort of an answer to this question this morning -- when I started up CarPlay by connecting my phone this morning, a new app that I have had on my phone appeared in CarPlay -- Mixcloud. Must have just happened yesterday.

I keep hoping for Waze.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think I also got sort of an answer to this question this morning -- when I started up CarPlay by connecting my phone this morning, a new app that I have had on my phone appeared in CarPlay -- Mixcloud. Must have just happened yesterday.

I keep hoping for Waze.
Waze is the app really worth having. It's the only GPS I Use in my FE. It would be so easy to add it.

Is there any information about whether Waze will be available either from Volvo or from Apple.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Waze is the app really worth having. It's the only GPS I Use in my FE. It would be so easy to add it.

Is there any information about whether Waze will be available either from Volvo or from Apple.
Waze is owned by Google - Google has said they have no intention of making their Waze app CarPlay compliant.
Volvo and Apple are just passengers when it comes to developers' intentions.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where has Google said that?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did find this, but that doesn't sound conclusive.

Google cares most about the data they can collect, and less about their own OS, I think. Not surprising they'd prioritize Android Auto development, though.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I don't have links but I read other peoples links in the past to a tweet from them in reply to someone that they are not looking into CarPlay availability right now as well as a similar reply made by waze on the waze forums when the question came up.

Edit, just read the info in the link you gave and that was the tweet I was talking about above. As you said, not conclusive but sure sounds like they're not eager about making it available anytime soon. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
As you said, not conclusive but sure sounds like they're not eager about making it available anytime soon. Unfortunately.
Have seen them reply to at least 1 other comment - but you're right, it's not an official press release. However, with it being on Twitter, you'd think that if they had other plans, they'd trumpet them loudly.

I'm sure if CarPlay adoption is strong, and it looks like 2016 will be a massive year of deliveries, then they'll get on board.
Don't forget, Google initially wouldn't create an iOS app, but eventually came around to the idea. I can only imagine the discussions they have internally as the different factions argue over what to do. The services guys want their services to be ubiquitous, while the consumer products and OS teams want to keep any advantage they can. I'm glad Apple Maps has finally left the "laughing stock" camp into a suitable alternative to Google. Good for both groups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts